The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat who has a hard lump on her neck, I noticed it about 1 week ago now and having looked at it again today it looks like it is expressing like a bot fly. Just wondering if anyone has seen one of them before and if they can tell me that it may well be and how to potentially extract it carefully without leaving 1/2 the fly behind?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vaseline over the opening every hour smothers the larva. When it comes out for air you can gently grab with a tweezer and extract it. If it doesnt work, ask your vet for something to kill it
Thank you!
Does it look like a bot fly to you?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
The only way to tell is if a critter pops out. Cover with Vaseline. If a head pops out its a bot fly. I would also check if it is a boil.
A vet can tell definitively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way to tell is if a critter pops out. Cover with Vaseline. If a head pops out its a bot fly. I would also check if it is a boil.
A vet can tell definitively.
ok amazing! I'll pop some Vaseline on every hour and go from there! What can boils be caused by? Or is that a really broad question to ask

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Boils are caused by deficiancies and infections. Some times an insect bite can do that too. Its very broad. You can give some garlic and some essential herbs its a deficiancy. Take tempeeature and chech famancha score. You may also kniw from the state of the coat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boils are caused by deficiancies and infections. Some times an insect bite can do that too. Its very broad. You can give some garlic and some essential herbs its a deficiancy. Take tempeeature and chech famancha score. You may also kniw from the state of the coat.
thank you so much! I will try first with the Vaseline if no critter appears a trip to the vet may be worth it. Do you suggest when the bot fly is removed to soak the open wound in iodine solution

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet ! I’m applying the gasoline every hour to see if it suffocates it! I had a thought she had her injections for her 5in1 not long ago, so I wonder if it’s an infection from the needle site ?

·
TKC Farms
2,597 Posts
Not yet ! I'm applying the gasoline every hour to see if it suffocates it! I had a thought she had her injections for her 5in1 not long ago, so I wonder if it's an infection from the needle site ?
I hope you meant Vaseline instead of gasoline. Gasoline may not be good to use.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
TKC Farms
2,597 Posts
I hope you meant Vaseline instead of gasoline. Gasoline may not be good to use.
Oh, I see why, my spell checker changed mind to gasoline instead of Vaseline.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Katie it could be possible that a small infection has occured. Maybe a vet visit is good. If no kritter then other options must be looked at. Does it look ***** at the head?
Watch the heat wave out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts