Both girls have kidded; no more until July...

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by maple hill farm tina, Feb 26, 2011.

1. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Okay, it's time to start a waiting thread for these two ladies. Vega was the first doe born on our farm, and that makes her kidding really special for us. She's 3/4 nigerian and 1/4 nubian, and she was bred to our Enchanted Hill buck, Marmot. Vega's mom was a great mom and a great milker. We're hoping Vega follows in her footsteps. She's on day 140 today, and she is a FF.

Then, there's Jitterbug. She is also bred to Marmot, and she's on day 126 today. For a long time, we wondered whether she was actually pregnant. She didn't seem to come back into heat, but she didn't get any larger for SOOOO long. Then, over the last month, she's gotten steadily rounder and rounder and rounder. Now, there's absolutely no doubt. We're so excited about this pairing. The babies should be absolutely gorgeous.

Here they are... what do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Re: Reluctant Acres Hope (Jitterbug) & MHF Vega up next

Vega is SO pretty! How about Delta-when is she due? Jitterbug is coming along nicely too.

3. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009

Pretty girls. :greengrin: I hope you get exactly what you want.

Tracy

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Boht girls look great

Jbug's udder looks to be coming in good - hope she doesnt have it lopsided like before, but by the looks of it right now she may freshen ok which is awesome :D

5. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Stacey - how does she look this time, size-wise, as compared with last time? I sure hope her udder comes in well this time, too. Cross your fingers for me... :wink:

Hunter - we put Delta in with Marmot the first week in February. So, hopefully we'll have double-sided Enchanted Hill babies in July. Oh, we put Che back in with Marmot in February, too. So, hopefully that pairing will take this time, too, and we'll get some really pretty speckly or cou clair babies from them in July (gee, right around when I'm due, too). :roll:

Tracy - thanks! We sure love our girls. we are, of course, hoping for girls. I have a reservation for a doeling from Jitterbug, and I'd like to retain one... and Vega's mother was such a good milker that doelings from her would be great, as well... think pink for us!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I hope you get :kidred: :kidred: from both of your pretty girls! JB's udder does look symetrical...I hope she fills it well for you.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Will send you some pictures from last year to compare

8. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Thanks, Liz! We're crossing our fingers...

Thanks, Stacey! I'll go check my email.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I will send some tomorrow since I just got in at my friends after a 7hour drive

10. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Stacey - Wow! Long day! I'll look forward to seeing the pics whenever you get a chance to send them. :)

11. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009

Tons of pink vibes, thoughts, and wishes headed your way! Lol, I could use some of those myself too. ;) :thumb:

Tracy

12. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

From the time I left this morning to when I got home this evening, Vega's udder and body have changed dramatically. Her udder is MUCH larger, and she's sunken in on the top sides of her back. I can still feel ligaments. I'm attaching pics to see what you all think. The pics from the beginning of this thread are from Saturday, the pics on this post are from this evening (Tuesday). I think she's closer to delivering than I first thought. What do you all think?

Attached Files:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Jitterbug & Vega up next - NEW PICS 3/1/11

still needs to fill some more but its progress :D

(I still need to get those pictures to you - I havent forgotten)

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

She is coming right along.... :thumb:

15. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Vega kidded with a large, single doeling. The doeling has had absolutely no interest in nursing at all. After about 30 minutes of trying to get her to nurse, we got nervous about her not getting colostrum; so my dad came over, and we expressed 30cc from Vega and tube-fed the doeling. That was about 45 minutes ago. After that, she began to hunch up and shiver, so we've brought her inside to warm her up. How often will we have to tube feed her tonight? How much per time (she's 7/8 Nigerian Dwarf, 1/8 Nubian)? Is there a chance Vega will take her back in the morning and let the baby nurse, or is she destined to be a bottle-baby?
    Thanks!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Wow...that was fast!

Does the baby have a suck reflex? I've bnever tube fed so I'm not sure how to answer that one...if she has a good "sucker" then I'd keep trying with mom or a bottle, how cold is it there? Has she perked up since getting warm at all? If so, I'd put a sweater on her then take her out to mom to try and get her to nurse and bond, If she's not wanting mom and theres no interest by mom, you likely will have a bottle baby.

17. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Re: Vega kidded - need help with feeding...

Yep. It was pretty quick. I was glad Vega waited for me to get home from work (my husband was home all day with her, but I really didn't want to miss it). It's in the teens here tonight. We've had does kid in colder weather, but this one just really seemed to be affected by the cold. She doesn't suck on my little finger when I put it in her mouth, she just pushes it out with her tongue. Does that mean she doesn't have any suck reflex? I really would like for her to be with her mama, but neither one really had any interest when we were up there before. (Could the cold have been influencing her lack of interest, too?)

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It could have been the cold but was Vega wanting to "mother" her? It seems here that when it's cold moms want to get those kids clean and nursing pretty quickly...if she's not wanting to suck, I would try a dab of selenium/e gel if you have it, no suck reflex is a sign of deficiency in new borns.

19. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I am so sorry! I just went through this too. Our first born last week had no suck reflex, and couldn't get to his feet, and wanted to lay on his side. We brought him in, took his temp, and syringe fed him as must colostrum as he wanted from mama - once we got some food in him, we gave him some selenium e gel - he was back out with mama 5 hours later. I've been having an issue with getting her to nurse him, she doesn't reject him but doesn't let them nurse as often as the other does let their kids....but thankfully she's getting better about it.
    Hopefully your doe will take her back, and they will be able to bond.

If you don't have BoSe or selenium E gel available, you can use selenium tablets you get from the vitamin section in your store/pharmacy, and vitamin e gel caps as well. Not sure how much to give a newborn though?
    I had a buckling with signs of deficiency at 3 weeks old and gave him 1 capsule of each - but mine are mostly boer.

20. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

Thanks so much for the fast help! After having her inside for an hour or so and getting her warmed up, we tubed another 30cc into her. Then, I took her back out to her mama. As soon as I got close to the barn, the baby started calling to her mom, and Vega started calling to the baby. I put blankets up over the outside of both stall doors to keep the heat in (and any wind out), and I changed the light bulb in the kidding stall to the heat light. The baby immediately began to poke around for some milk. I had to hold Vega's back legs the first two times the baby found a teat, but by the time I left the barn the baby had nursed on her own from both sides. YEA!!!! I'll check on her a couple of times tonight, but I'm crossing my fingers that everything is okay with them.
    Thanks again, Liz and HoosierShadow!