Bottle Babies...Question!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Feb 9, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Can bottle babies be weaned at 2 months? I know some people like to leave them on for longer.

I have a doeling that will be coming to me at 2 months old, and her owner said if I want I can bottle feed her a little to get her to like me...

Can I not? Or do I need to?

Thanks!

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    2 months would be 8 weeks old...I prefer to keep my doe kids on their bottle/dam until 10 weeks at the least. But technically, you probably could wean her. However...she should be weaned for a least a week before you take her home or keep feeding her for at least a week after you get her home...that way she's well adjusted and the weaning + the rehoming won't stress her to much. ;)

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok awesome, thanks so much!

I will make sure to do that!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You could...I was able to get dam raised Angel on a bottle when I brought her home, I also had a good supply of goats milk too, I truly think that they do benefit from even one bottle a day for as long as you want to give one, besides bonding to you...the extra good stuff in the milk helps with growth.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No problem Laura. ;)

6. TinyHoovesRanch

I will probably do that, give her one bottle a day, if possible, I need to get some milk....

7. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I would definitely giver her at least one bottle a day for while. You want to make sure she is eating enough regular food to support her growth before you take the milk away.