The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not bottle fed babies since I was in 4H 25yrs ago. Anyway, a friend of mine wants to sell her new babies as bottle babies. Her question to me was how to go about this. Her babies are brand new, just born today. She isn't in a rush, but wants to make sure she does things in the correct order and the right time age wise.
When do people normally switch from mom to bottle?
And at what age is it safe to send the babies to their new homes?

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
The sooner you pull baby from mom the easier it is on them..bonding is already taking place...some will give 24 hours then pull....I would send them of to their new home once I was sure they are on the bottle well and thriving..about a week old or so....

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
If I'm going to bottle them, mom doesn't even get to lick them. They go right into the house for the first couple of nights. Just to make it easier to feed them that first couple of days. Mom goes right back out with the herd after being milked out.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
It is truly easiest if mom never nurses them. But if you want them on mom unless someone wants to buy them, then I wouldn't let them get any older than 3 weeks. After that, it is much harder to get them on the bottle.

Some people let them nurse on mom 24 hours to 3 days and then pull. But of course the longer on mom, the more attached mom and babies are.

·
558 Posts
My bottle babies were with mom for about a week. The breeder told me she gave them a bottle at night when she pulled them. They took a bottle a little reluctantly at first when I got them but were fine after a day.
It is a LOT of work bottle feeding in the first month and if I were her I would make sure the new owners are fully aware of the time commitment they will be putting into it and the potential struggle at the beginning but mine turned out to be so friendly and sweet, I am so glad we did it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts