The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new goats, and I recently got two three week old goats that I am training to bottle feed. The black goat is 4 days younger than the white, and he come to the bottle to eat now. He also jumps around and plays and will jump in my lap. The white goat however will not take the bottle. I have to have my husband hold him while I force it in his mouth. He acts normal besides the fact that he is still scared of me and he doesn't really play. He will jump up on the furniture, but he doesn't do it in a playful manner like the other. What do I do to help the white baby?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
welcome to goat spot and thegoat world : )
Teaching to bottle feed at 3 weeks can be a challenge but its doable : ) paitents and persistance will win him over...What are you feeding? if its different than what he had before, that might be the issue, if you dont have access to goats milk, regular store bought whole cows milk is the next best thing..Also how muchis important, if he is getting too much, his tummy might be upset, keeping him from wanting to play much. Is he pooping well? I would also take his temp to be sure he isnt getting sick..101.5-103.5 is normal range...here are a few tips that has worked for me in the past
Try putting honey on the nipple..
with new babies learning to suck I put honey on my finger and put it way back ontheir tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex..I do this a few times until the baby really sucks well and eager for a bit more..I ut honey on the bottle nipple and slip it in when he is sucking good on my finger...works great..you can try this with your little buck. I had one young doe that I had to fight to get the nipple in her mouth but once she got it she drank it all...: )

keeping in mind how much they should drink to prevent tummy issues be sure to weigh them, multiply that by 16 to get weight in oz and then multiply that by 10%. This give youhow much milk they need in a 24 hour period....then divide that by 3-4 feedings : ) I never feed more than 16oz at one time...at three weeks introducing to hay and a tiny bit of feed.

3 weeks is prim for cocci as well....if you bring some poop to the vet and ask for a fecal, incluse a cocci check

1 - 2 of 2 Posts