The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a complete goat newbie. I have two little ones of my own that I just got in March, but besides that Im continuously learning! As my herd slowly grows, and I make plans for the future, I’ve come to consider the possibilities of having my own buck. I do plan on breeding for milk once my ND doe dries up and the little girls are old enough, and just recently I was offered to bottle raise a purebred registered Nigerian dwarf buckling, which is what I was looking for! Perfect opportunity, but as I said, I’m clueless when it comes to bottle babies and still learning. So before I accept, I need to figure some things out.

Ive seen talk about feeding based on weight. What is the math with that? I’ve seen it a couple times but want to make sure it’s exact so I don’t mess up. What should i expect after the feeding? What should the belly feel like?

Generally, what are some things I should prepare for? Vaccinations, medications, sicknesses, etc? I’ve seen that baby poops are different than adult poops, how so?

Is there a list I should prepare beforehand? If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you in advance. 😁

·
Registered
895 Posts
formula for bottle feeding: goat weight in ounces x 10-12% divided into 3-4 feedings per day. Example (use 10 lb goat for easy figuring) 10 lbs x 16 oz = 160 oz. 160 oz x 10% = 16 oz per day minimum 16 oz / 4 times per day = 4 oz per feeding. Hope that's not too confusing. Look for full sides, not pot bellied. Weigh your baby often and adjust as necessary. Also, consider using whole cows milk from the store rather than formula. It's better for them and easier to digest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts