Bottle Baby Boer

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Jen4, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    Hello, I'm new here & to the goat world. I got a 1 day old bottle baby boer yesterday mornin. My friend didnt have time to take care of her so ask me if I wanted her, he brought me a bottle & a can of PET evaporated milk, I've been tryin to read all I can on baby goats. I've read this is not good for her to have so I put her on whole cows milk yesterday afternoon... she doesnt drink much at one time, 1 - 1.5 ozs. every couple hours. She has yellow runny poo this morning, is this because I switched her to whole milk? I dont know what to do, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    Since I've wrote this I've given her some pepto.

3. Welcome from NJ :wave:
    **Did this baby get colostrum from the mom in the first few hours?? That is VERY important for any immunities.
    Glad you switched from the pet milk that is not meant for livestock. The cows milk some say is just fine.
    I have never bottle fed but lots of small feedings seams like what they would take from the mom increasing and length and decreasing frequency as the baby grows.
    Yellow poo is normal for a few days/week. Runny like liquid isn't normal but could be the change in food and is better than constipated.
    Good luck with this new endeavor. Do you plan to get the kid a friend?

4. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    Thanks You freedomstarfarm: I think she got just alittle from her momma. Glad to hear that about the poo. I'm kinda lettin her tell me when shes hungry, shes doing good at it, eatin 1 - 1.5 oz every 3-4 hours. I dont know yet about a friend, everyone is telling me I need to. I wish my friend had another bottle baby to give me :)

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you in Oregon? I have frozen pasturised colostrum.

6. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    goathiker: No, I live in Kentucky.

7. If this baby was born yesterday lets hope she got some from mom. The asorbtion period is over so some now wouldn't help much from what I have heard.

They do do better with another goat since they are a herd animal.

8. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    I'm gonna try to get her a friend. Thank :)

9. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    If she is really small that is a good amount per feeding. I believe my 7-8# newborns were drinking around 4oz every 6hrs when they were 1 day old. But that was strong healthy kids that got colostrum for the first 24hrs.

Sometimes they get runny yellow poo at first when you use cows milk, she will be fine and firm up some.

Karla

10. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    Thanks icboers. Shes doing good drinkin 1-1.5 oz. about every 3 hours. She still has diarrhea & I just now see tiny worms in her poo & on her butt! Gross.

11. Jen4

Jen4 New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hart County, Kentucky
    Just lettin yall know Bella didnt make it, she died today. Very sad.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :( how sad! :hug:
    sounds like she had some serious stuff going on.. tapes?weird.

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Her vet thought it was fly strike. So sorry...