The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Vertebrate Dog crate Fence Pet supply
Dog Vertebrate Dog crate Fence Pet supply

This is a bottle baby we just got and right now he is on 4oz of powdered milk every 4 hours per the instructions of the previous owner he is 3 days old and about 4 pounds. He just finished his bottle and he finished it very quickly, I'm just wondering if it should be increased? If had a bottle baby years ago and it's kinda just a new process again. Any help or advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,746 Posts
Oh what a precious little guy. I've never bottle fed. But a lot of info on that is here on TGS. A lot of people use regular cows milk. As a suggestion use the search on bottle feeding. You may find a lot of options ..good luck!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Whole cows milk is better than replacer. Is his tummy poochy looking like it has anything in it? If it does he has had enough. Remember the older he gets the more he will need. There is a formula floating about. I hope some one can give it to you.
He is a cutie

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
What a sweet little guy :)
I've always used goats or regular cows milk with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day.
4oz ,four times is probably about right as long as his sides don't distend and his tummy is firm not hard.
He will beg for more but he doesn't know what's best for him. Usually the formula is 10% of his body weight as a rule of thumb.

·
8,394 Posts
If you switch him to regular store bought whole cows milk, first, give a few feedings of electralytes (can get at tractor supply) then switch to cows milk. Or, mix your milk replacer, then remove a little and add the cows milk. Slowly over 5 days, add more cows milk and less milk replacer until you are at all cows milk.

The problem with the powdered milk replacer is that it can cause diarrhea. Goats don't always do well on replacer. Plus the utensils have to be really clean and you have to measure exactly, or they will get sick or dehydrated. Whole milk out of the bottle is easier and actually cheaper in the long run. (Whole milk is good, just keep the humans from drinking it all!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts