Bottle baby feedings

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Jordan Hollingshead, Sep 29, 2020.

1. IMG_2373.jpg IMG_2373.jpg

This is a bottle baby we just got and right now he is on 4oz of powdered milk every 4 hours per the instructions of the previous owner he is 3 days old and about 4 pounds. He just finished his bottle and he finished it very quickly, I’m just wondering if it should be increased? If had a bottle baby years ago and it’s kinda just a new process again. Any help or advice would be great!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. You need to be careful of overfeeding. What brand of powder are you using.

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh what a precious little guy. I've never bottle fed. But a lot of info on that is here on TGS. A lot of people use regular cows milk. As a suggestion use the search on bottle feeding. You may find a lot of options ..good luck!

Jordan Hollingshead and Sfgwife like this.
  4. DUMOR milk replacer

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Whole cows milk is better than replacer. Is his tummy poochy looking like it has anything in it? If it does he has had enough. Remember the older he gets the more he will need. There is a formula floating about. I hope some one can give it to you.
    He is a cutie

6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    What a sweet little guy :)
    I've always used goats or regular cows milk with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day.
    4oz ,four times is probably about right as long as his sides don't distend and his tummy is firm not hard.
    He will beg for more but he doesn't know what's best for him. Usually the formula is 10% of his body weight as a rule of thumb.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Do please rethink using a wire crate to keep him in. Babies tend to get legs stuck - they can break them, get frantic etc. I use a playpen with mesh sides when I have to keep kids inside due to extremely cold weather.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All really good advice.

The baby is adorable. :)

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Please post more pictures

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Get an exact weight on him using a kitchen or fishing scale in pounds & ounces or pounds with decimals then make sure he is gaining a minimum of 0.5 lbs or 8 ounces every day. (there are 16 pounds in an ounce).

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you switch him to regular store bought whole cows milk, first, give a few feedings of electralytes (can get at tractor supply) then switch to cows milk. Or, mix your milk replacer, then remove a little and add the cows milk. Slowly over 5 days, add more cows milk and less milk replacer until you are at all cows milk.

The problem with the powdered milk replacer is that it can cause diarrhea. Goats don't always do well on replacer. Plus the utensils have to be really clean and you have to measure exactly, or they will get sick or dehydrated. Whole milk out of the bottle is easier and actually cheaper in the long run. (Whole milk is good, just keep the humans from drinking it all!)