The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive pulled my wee little baby bottle girl and I want to make sure I odnt make her sick, so Im being a little paranoid, apologies.

First-her breath seems a little raspy on one side. Her brother who is with mom doesnt seem to be raspy in his breath. Im a little worried she might have some moisture in her lung or inhaled some milk or birth fluid. She has no fever and is bouncing around and yelling like a maniac and ravenously hungry so seems very healthy otherwise. She has shifted from meconium to sticky, think brown poo and is urinating just fine.

Next, I found a TON of confusing info about how much to feed. I got mixed up and on day one she had 15 oz total of colostrum replacement which was a bit too much I think.

Her weight today is 6.9 lbs or 110 oz, so 12% would be 13 oz total. Ive been feeding her 2 oz at a time spread over the day and she still seems like a little ravenous piggy! Does this seem about the right amount to feed her? (she is a lamancha/mini-lamancha cross)

Last, I purchased CD and tentunus anti-toxin, so was thinking I might give her some in the next few days, since she didnt get mom's colostrum-but I was uncertain if the replacement colostrum actually comes from CDT vaccinated animals, and gives good protection. Would appreciate insight.

EDIT: I also named her Diaper Genie, because I have watched her repeatedly shake off the diaper, one little kicky leg at a time hahahahahahaha.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t have much advice, but if you are having a hard time keeping diapers on, you can put baby onesies on them. They do a pretty good job of keeping everything on, and I usually cut a tail hole smaller than I think I’ll need.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Try crate training her it’s much easier than with dogs. I never had much luck with diapers either.
Did she get colostrum replacer or no colostrum at all?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is doing very well! I had to take my sheep in for a cast removal this morning so had the vet check her out as well. He said she is definitely a little congested in her chest so he gave her an antibiotic shot and then injected 10 ml of what I think was a colostrum serum? He said to certainly give her both the CD and tetenus antitoxin, just to keep her protected for the next few weeks.

She is my little side kick so has been going shopping with me at Lowes and target and running errands around town. Once I have another bottle baby, I wont feel bad leaving them together, but since she is alone, she gets to come along for trips! She is of course a hit!

(She had received colostrum replacement for first 24 hours and is now on kid milk replacer. Mom is CAE positive, so I pulled her to break the cycle, but didnt have any real non-CAE colostrum, so had to use replacement)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I switched her to milk replacer but I’ve noted she isn’t pooping. She passed meconium, then brown tar, then a firm little poop on day 2 but nothing since. I found instructions on giving a goat enema which seems straightforward-but can I do so with olive oil or veg oil as I don’t have mineral oil. How long should I let her go without pooping before giving her an enema?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts