The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 8th my bottle baby go was born and obviously I've been feeding him since then the mother was very sick with worms for a while but it's better now but I was wondering about the baby because I've been worried if there would be any side effects from the mother with the baby. When should the babies poop be normal poop?

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Are you feeding powdered milk replacer? Fresh goats milk, or a home made milk replacer?
He is a tad young to be having coccidia problems, but it is possible. What color is the diarrhea/scours? And what are you treating the coccidia with?
What is his temperature?

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
I ditto the questions....

You can give pepto as well to sooth his tummy and dry him up....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Treating him with Di-methox... Powder milk formula that I got from Tractor Supply... The Pooh is a dark color almost black, was cleared up for a day or two then came back

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I would take him off that replacer, it's causes a lot of problems. Give him some pepto, and give him some electrolytes right now, and when his diarrhea stops, start giving him real goats milk, or make a substitute.
Does he have a fever, or a low temp? What is his weight and how much of the DiMethox are you giving?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 2 bottle babies born on November 3 and 4. I have been using Land O Lakes Doe's Match. I buy it from the co-op. I have not had any problems with that one. My babies have not had any diarrhea problems. I hope your baby gets well soon.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
the problem with replacer is many have so many additives and soy ect...its not ahealthy choice for one and some goats just do not do well on them....WHole cows milk is a safer choice when goats milk is not available...its too risky IMO to choose replacer...

Milk of magnesia binds the toxicity the undigested milk is causing...when baby cant digest the milk it sits and become very toxic...
Pepto sooths the tummy and dries the bum but should not be used when using MOM...Baby will continue with the runs while on MOM and willneed electrolytes to keep hydrated...no milk until he is better...again, he cant digest it...

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
to know how much milk he needs to have per day...
weigh him and multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz...multiply that number by 10% to know how much he needs per day and divide into 3-4 feeding..I never feed more than 16 oz at one time...

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Well the stuff that you buy from the grocery store work? N why does the powdered formula cause problems?
Not all powdered formulas cause problems - there are some really good milk replacers out there, but they are difficult to find sometimes. I use Super Lamb for my bottle babies. I would be willing to bet the stuff you're buying at TS is mostly soy, and soy is not good for babies of any species.

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
^^^^ I read a lot of different replacers have the soy as well. I have yet to find a replacer that agreed with my kids and I went threw all the ones in tsc and still had the runs with my first bottle baby kids......and if I remember correctly it was that black nasty color as well and have had nothing but good luck with the whole milk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that sounds right and make sense here I thought it was me screwing up again the little guy seems alert and healthy with the exception of the poop going to get some good milk for him today thank you so much for your help I really do appreciate it it's been a hard year what the goats I actually learned a hard lesson with words this year and how severe they can be n how fast it happens when Gotye never ever had a problem with years before this area I move to end this year was very very different hard on the pocket and heavy on the heart hand-picked all my goats had 16 now I have 4 not including the baby so when I say thank you I really do mean it and appreciate it :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts