The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys has anyone ever experienced a bottle baby on lambar or bottle sucking until they bleed from the mouth? I bought a 75% boer lamancha buckling and he has all of a sudden as of the 2week mark started bleeding out of his mouth for a minute or 2 when sucking off the bottle or lambar.

I'm really confused as to why and I've never dealt with this or had it happen before when bottle feeding but the only reason I can think is maybe its his teeth and he didn't realize they were in and maybe chomps his tongue when suckling.

He's being fed 30oz 2 times a day and has free range hay andnoats to eat from so he shouldn't be overly hungry to the point where he chomps tongue or sucks so much that he cuts his tongue on teeth.

Any ideas? Anybody ever experience this?

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Check the mouth really good for cuts on gums, tongue, etc.
It is not normal to bleed like that.

Check for sharpness on the teeth, if you find sharpness get a fine file and file down the sharp points. Doesn’t take much.
Move the lips and tongue out of the way so you don’t hurt the kid.
That is if the teeth are causing injury anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the mouth really good for cuts on gums, tongue, etc.
It is not normal to bleed like that.

Check for sharpness on the teeth, if you find sharpness get a fine file and file down the sharp points. Doesn't take much.
Move the lips and tongue out of the way so you don't hurt the kid.
That is if the teeth are causing injury anywhere.
What type of file? A nail file or is there a different type of file ? I have 180 grit files lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30 oz at one time is a lot. Have you tried hand bottle feeding him and actually watching closely how he is drinking and maybe even feeling around his mouth as he is drinking?
Yeah I'm there 24/7 when he feeds which is how I know about the bloody suckling issue.. I may use a lambar but I have to stay there to feed them because of his bleeding issue and he doesn't drink the whole 30 oz he drink til his tummy is full and leaves about 5 ounces left in the lambar that I toss out lol but I have felt around in his mouth and he's got normal teeth just I don't stick around the teeth area for long because I don't want to get bit haha

And I have noticed that he drinks and drinks and drinks and never leaves til he's full so no break from nippy just straight on drinking til full but I can hear his breathing he will suck suck suck breathe in suck suck suck breathe out and such which is why I was on alert with this

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If he is really only 15 lbs at a month old, there may be more going on. I'm also a bit concerned with him drinking about 25 ounces at one time. You may need to involve a vet.
I bought this boy from a local person and im starting to wonder if she got her dates mixed up because she had a few that were similar looking and his teeth are up farther than they should be for a 1 month old kid he was supposedly born on the 8th of February this year but she also said she had some that were born on 1/19/20 so I'm really weirded out and I agree on the vet thing I will contact my vet and see what they say because this is just weird thank you for your help :)

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
The amount of milk is what I would feed at that age but, I would break it up into 4 16 ounce feedings 6 hours apart.
Feeding large amounts of milk comes with it's own rules such as, spread it out during the day, put a little pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day and probiotic powder in the third.
Personally I'd get rid of both the hay and oats and buy him a good alfalfa based medicated creep feed. He can't digest hay well yet and it's way more important to get him eating enough coccidia prevention right now. I usually start offering dried foodstuff at @ 8 to 10 weeks after they are eating 1.5 to 2 lbs of creep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So vet confirmed he's actually almost two months old. She said his teeth are telling her that he's 1 month and 3 weeks old. I asked her why he was so small when I got him at what would have been a month old when the owner told me a week old. And she told me he could have been born early or just born super small and /or didn't get fed very well but its hard to tell since she didn't see him as a baby from the get go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts