Bottle Baby not wanting milk

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Mary&James, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mary&James

Mary&James New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    We are new goat parents and have had our bottle babies for a while now. James our Saanen is 6 1/2 weeks and last night instead of taking his normal 2 bottles only took 1 and 1/2. This morning he only took about 4 oz. From what I've read it seems he may have undigested milk. We called out vet and was advised to give him 10cc of milk of magnesia and no milk today. We also gave him a bottle of warm salt water. Our breeder advised us on the feeding schedule but from what I gather we are giving too much at one feeding and this may have been the cause of his upset stomach. He is using the bathroom like normal. Do you have any other suggestions on what to do for him?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How many bottles per day and how many ounces per bottle? How much does he weigh? What type of milk?

3. Mary&James

Mary&James New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    We were doing the powdered milk and it gave them scours so the vet said to switch to whole cow milk which they have been on for about 2 weeks. He weighs between 20 and 25 pounds. We were giving them an 8oz bottle every 5 hours but now that they are drinking water and eating hay/grain on their own we give them 16oz of the morning and 16oz of the night before they are put up for bed.

4. ksalvagno

So you quickly switched from an 8 ounce bottle to a 16 ounce?

5. Mary&James

Mary&James New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    No we started adding an extra bottle of the night time 2 weeks ago. Then started adding an extra bottle of the morning and then a few days ago cut out the lunch time bottle since they were eating on their own

6. ksalvagno

Cut out milk for 24 hours. Give electrolytes.

Mary&James likes this.
  7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, so you gave 3 bottles a day, but how much was in those bottles? Did you go from 8 to 16oz? I'm a bit confused.
    We use the whole milk recipe for the bottle babies we've raised. They can definitely over eat or get belly aches if there are big changes.

Others can give better ideas on how much to feed/how often than me since I base it on individual baby. But I will say... I highly recommend adding probiotics to every other bottle. We use the powdered Goat's Prefer brand Probiotic Power from TSC. Just a tiny bit, so they get less than 1/2 scoop in 24hr period. I feel this really helps keep their rumen in good shape.

8. Mary&James

Mary&James New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    So the breeder we got them from only had us giving them 1 8oz bottle of morning and 1 8oz bottle at night. The vet said that was it enough and increase feedings to every 5 hrs 8oz. This is ages 1 week for boy and girl was 2 weeks. So now when they reach 4 weeks and 5 weeks we were told to increase nightly feeding and decrease day feeding bc they started eating hay/grain on their own so we went to 1 8oz in morning 1 8oz at lunch and 16 oz at night. 5 weeks and 6 weeks old at this point. Then after a week we were told to increase day feeding so we now give 16oz in morning no lunch bottle and 16oz at night. This is how they have been for the last week with no issues at all. Saturday around the evening he laid around and only took 12 oz for night time bottle then only took 4 oz for morning bottle yesterday. Our vet advised no milk and give him the milk of magnesia. And to try milk again for night feeding which he drank 8 oz and then this morning he drank 8 oz but that's not normal for him
    He is the eager drinker and always wants more. So I was looking for other suggestions as to if its undigested milk or does he possible need to be wormed already. He is 6 1/2 weeks old

9. Mary&James

Mary&James New Member

Apr 15, 2018
    We were also advised having C&D Antitoxin on hand if bloat happens again. Does anyone have a link or website where I can get this. I may be wrong but I'm only seeing the CD/T vaccine not the antitoxin