The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bottle baby that is getting Advance brand kid milk replacer. she is acting fine (hungry, playing, active) except she seems like she is struggling to poop. she will squat down like a dog but doesn't produce much at a time and what she does produce is yellow and slimy looking. this has been going on for about a week and her belly isn't swelling up like she's constipated and no changes in behavior. She is in a pen with all the other babies and moms, so she could be pooping other time when I don't see it. I do seem to see it mostly after I give her a bottle, but occasionally other times. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I would take her off replacer and use milk from one of the other moms. I second the age question -- it could be ecoli, with that yellow sounding poop. Did the baby get colostrum?

If constipation is concerning you may need to give an enema.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she is almost 3 weeks old, could I be feeding her to much? I've been giving her about 8-10oz 3 times a day, and I know I've seen her stealing milk from other does when she can. I hate to not use a 25lb bag of milk replacer, but obviously if it's a problem, then I will have to. It is an all milk protein milk replacer, so at least there's that. I will get some whole cow's milk or try to milk the one doe who I think may have extra milk and post back. How quickly do you think I would see a difference?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, and she did get colostrum, her mom had lots of thick creamy colostrum, her sister is doing very well (I pawned her off onto another doe that had a single)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, that's good, cuz it's been raining here for almost 24 hours and there's no way I'm going to get a goat that's never been milked before to stand for milking in the rain, lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, why are the milk replacers bad? Calves do just fine on calf milk replacer, so I am confused as to why kids would not be the same way. Not trying to knock anyone, I just know people who have used them successfully, and I have in the past...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Honestly the replacer isnt too good for the calves either. Most replacer isnt 100% milk based and usually has fillers. Young kids cant process anything but milk and therefore would not be getting proper nutrition. That is my understanding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That makes sense, I would also suspect that at this point, dairy calves have been (accidentally or not) genetically selected to be able to better digest milk replacer than goat kids have been. So update on the baby...

After 24 hours of electrolytes, the baby was mad at me that I not only didn't bring her milk, I expected her to stand in the rain to drink it, but she is not doing the squatting thing and about 12 hours in, she had some actually loose poop, but that seems to have cleared up. Had to give her some replacer mixed with electrolytes because I haven't been able to get to the store yet. My fiance is picking up some whole cows milk, he wants to get Lamers milk (it's milk that comes in a glass bottle that you pay a deposit on, from farms with less than 100 cows each and is supposedly pasteurized at the lowest legal temp). It's twice the price of the other milk, which is a lot to spend on a baby goat, in my opinion. I tried to milk my nubian/boer cross, but only got 2oz, and she didn't seem to have much extra, maybe she would start to produce more if I kept at it and raised the demand? She only comes up to you when she wants, and it took me like 5 minutes to catch her.

·
Fair-Haven
4,722 Posts
Do not mix the replacer with the electrolytes - you are trying to clear her system of what is upsetting her rumen. I have raised quite a few on regular whole cows milk and they have done great. If you feed the doe an increasing ration and start milking twice a day, she may increase production for you. Let us know how baby is doeing.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Never mix any type of milk with electrolytes. But as stated above the whole point of the electrolytes this time is to clear the system of the replacer.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Regular red top whole milk is plenty good. If you have a large breed bottle baby, the milk is going to get expensive anyway. Having multiple Nigis was expensive. Think buying a six pack of gallon milk every six or seven days. No sense in doubli g the money for the glass bottle.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had only given her the mix of electrolytes and milk after the 24 hours, because I didn't want to give her just straight milk replacer again. I've been mixing the whole cows milk 50/50 with the milk replacer and she seems to be doing well with that. Tried to go down to 2 feedings a day, that didn't agree with her so much though, lol, so back to 3 feedings a day. Dwarf Dad: she's a percentage boer, dad is 200+ and mom's probably around 175 and she is showing the same large body. She's gonna be a big girl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts