Bottle baby question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Scott, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm currently raising a bottle baby and I was wondering if any of you know of any thing that you can give them as a suplement for vitamins. The mother died while kidding and the baby is doing extremely well on the bottle, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't anything else that I can give her to ensure that she is getting everything she needs.

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    how old is this bottle baby? I have never given anything else other than whole cows milk and put minerals out free choice then at 3 weeks or so I start offering feed and hay. If at all possible if you can keep the bottle baby with the herd so they can teach it how to eat feed and hay and to know how to be a goat.

3. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    She just turned a week old Sunday. Of course we gave her colostrum the first day and milk replacer from then on. Like I said she is doing great on the bottle. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything else that I could give her to make sure that she is receiving all of the vitamins that she should be receiving.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Provided the replacer she's getting is a good one and she's eating well then she's getting all she needs for the moment, I agree with Trob though, provide a bit of grain at around 3 weeks and start leaving some hay where she can get it now, I have minis...Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmy and my babies start to nibble on hay at around a week to week and a half old. Let her around other goats too, she'll learn to be a goat from them. Shame about her mama, sorry, she does sound as though she has a very good "goatdad". :)

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think as long as she did get Colostrum, she should be fine. Now I give ALL my babies Nurta Drench when they are born. If they are not real active then I will give it to them again the next day.
    Sorry that you lost the mom, but at least you have a beautiful baby. Do you have any pictures?

6. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'll try to post some pictures soon. Thanks of the reply.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know someone that puts a little red cell in the milk once a week, she swears by it and says her kids grow faster when they are on it.
    beth

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wahoo we love pictures!!! :cool:

9. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    pics we need pics lol

10. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    How do I insert the picture?

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    click attach when you go to post reply, then a window will pop up and just find the picture you want to attach and double click it. Or you can use photobucket....or if you send them to me through email, I can do it for you...my email address is djsfiance2004@yahoo.com

12. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Ok. Here is a picture of our girl. I'm sorry I took so long but work has been kind of hectic. I hope this works!

Scott

13. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  14. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks, she has grown a lot since this pic. She is weighing in at around 14.5 lbs. now.

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    my little buckling weighs about 15 lbs at about a week old.

16. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    She is so CUTE! Glad to hear she is doing well :D

17. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Oh my...what a cutie!!! Haha...I laugh when I hear about baby goats weighing 15 lbs at 1 week...it takes weeks for my minis to reach that sometimes...haha!!! :lol: I'd definitely say what you are doing is working for your little one! :thumb:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is a sweetheart! Her ears frame her face perfectly! What a good goat daddy you are!!

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is adorable, thanks for the picture!!!

20. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am serious!!! This little boy is a boer buckling and weighs close to 15 lbs....he was a single and is a little piglet....my myotonics don't weigh near that when they are a week old but this little boer buckling does.