Bottle baby questions....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Mar 16, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have some 2 week old wethers, my friend really wants to take them home at a month old, on a bottle, is this possible? Like if i starve them all day would they take a bottle? Also IF they did, how much would they need to eat at a month and how many times would they need to be fed a day? Would cows milk be ok for them or do they need goat milk?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    If they have been on mom this whole time getting them to a bottle will be a big challenge. Can this person wait till at least 8 weeks? And goats milk is best, but I hear if you start to mix in whole cows milk you can transition them over to it.

We bottle feed anyway so getting them to switch seems near impossible to me it took the boys almost a day to figure out the bottle thing in the first place(but I also suspect that they hit momma before we found them :shades: )

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Would it be possible to wait until 8 weeks and then try them on a bottle? I know it may be a longshot, but I guess trying wouldnt hurt.

I was thinking about seperating them the night before, then not feeding them for half the day, and then giving them a bottle and forcing them to drink it.....

4. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Every year I end up with a few kids that I bottle feed, actually right now I have 7. I have found that the sooner a kid is switched to a bottle the easier time he, and you, have at it. Granted they need colostrum from their mother, or another source, for the first 24-36 hours but then it is perfectly fine to switch them to a bottle. Actually people with herd that are cae/cl positive Immediately pull their kids and start them on bottles, again they get colostrum first. I feed only whole milk. I want the consistency that whole milk gives, it isn't cheap, replacer is substantially cheaper, but I believe it is better. I raise boers and I want BIG kids at weaning, I have never had any issues with whole milk not providing enough...Other may disagree but I base my opinion STRICTLY on my own experience. As I stated I raise boers so I wouldn't be able to give you amounts or feeding frequencies because My kids are probably bigger and require more than your kids, assuming they are mini's...If you were going to try to switch them at 1 month, I would seperate them at your farm and try to get them started on a bottle before sending them to someone else. If they have any problems you can always let them go back to the dam. Some older kids take to it right away some are slower and some want no part of the deal.

5. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I to think it really depends on the baby. I have one I put on the bottle after a week on his dam. Then the two that i put on the bottle last night, never been on mom, one is very stubborn. She is starting to take the bottle now but it was a fight at first. If I was you and was going to try to put them on a bottle. Then I would seperate from mom during night and offer bottle first thing in morning when they are really hungry. The way I bottle feed at a month is 4-6 weeks 3 bottles a day maybe 6-8 0unces a bottle then 6-8 weeks two times a day at 8-10 ounces a bottle. Then I do 8-10 weeks one bottle a day at 10 ounces.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I use whole cows milk with buttermilk added. though at over $5 a gallon, it's getting very expensive! Selling them soon. They seem to do well on it and grow just fine. not sure on bottlefeeding minis.... i'd separate them and just be patient, once they realize that warm milk comes from a bottle, they'll switch over fine, maybe see if you could get a bit of goats milk to mix in for the first couple feedings.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    WOW $5 a gallon!!! thats why you milk a goat man lol.

8. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    My buckling i recently bought was a week old, and he would drink from the bottle but it was a horrible fight and he wouldn't eat much. I even let him get really hungry and it still didn't help. I finally just started sticking one of my does on the milk stand and letting him nurse off of her. She was happy to get an extra meal, he was happy to have a real teat and i was happy to not have to wrestle with him 6 times a day.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    You can wean a wether at 8 weeks. Just have her wait until then! As long as he is eating grain and hay he should be good to go at 8 weeks. Toby was just under 8 weeks when I got him and he was weaned. He is fat and healthy.

10. TinyHoovesRanch

These boys already look like they are 4 months old lol they are VERY big and fat, nice and healthy and already out with the herd, and eating hay and attemtping grain lol

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Then my opinion would be to wean him at 8 weeks and just make her wait :wink: The breeder I got Toby from tried to bottle feed him at 6 weeks because I was in a hurry to get him because Bella needed a friend. But he would have nothing to do with it. :laugh: Didn't cooperate at all! LOL! We gave Bella over to the care of our dog for 2 weeks while we waited for him to grow up a little lol!

12. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya im thinking thats what I will do....

I really dont like bottle feeding, I think babies should always be raised with momma, as long as they are handled they can be just as friendly, but when someone requests it, I will do it.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Separate a night and milk mom - off the kids the milk in a bottle. If they take it within a couple days of trying this then they can go as bottle kids. This is what I do.

14. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I switch kids over to the bottle at around 4 wks with no problems. Usually I start off like Stacy said, by separating them from mom overnight and offer the bottle in the morning when they are hungry, then let them out with momma for the day. I do this for a few days to get them used to the idea of the bottle then just switch them over full-time. So far all of my kids have caught on super quick and are attacking the bottle within the first or second day. I have one this year that is being particularly stubborn, but even she is catching on by the 3rd day.

With my work schedule I just can't bottle feed from the start because the younger kids need lots of small feedings throughout the day and can't get by with 2 or 3 larger feedings the way the older ones can, BUT, I hate chasing wild goats at milking time and wrestling with them in the show ring so I start them with their mom and then finish them on the bottle.

This year, after they get the hang of the bottle for about a week I am starting to transition them to a multi-kid bucket feeder to save time.

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Depending on the kid/dam you may have a battle on your hands...if you take the kid away, the doe will probably be upset over it so she's going to need time to calm down and get over her baby being taken from her. The baby will probably not want the bottle and will fight like crazy to avoid the bottle....some kids you have to let them go all day before they realize they need to take the bottle to eat....

Personally, I do not switch dam raised kids to bottles unless I have to. (Meaning if something happened to the dam) But of course I have zero patience with trying to get them switched from the dam to the bottle....so if you have the patience for it and want to give it a try...goodluck!! :D lol

16. BaconsFort

BaconsFort New Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Did this baby have a mother that rejected him? Where did you house him? With other mothers or....?

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is an old post from 2011. ;)