The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have a doeling that was born 1 month ago. When the mama was pregnant she had a case of scours so we had a fecal run. It showed high counts but we couldn't treat until after she delivered. As soon as the doeling was born we dewormed mama. I think the stress of scours for a month, delivery, and deworming caused her milk production to slow down. She had colostrum, but her milk never seemed to come in after the colostrum. The doeling seemed a little less energetic than she should have been, and belly never seemed full, so we started supplementing with a bottle. She has gained weight very well. She currently nurses off of one of my milk goat in the morning, then gets 3 additional bottles throughout the day. The last few days she's been nursing well in the morning but refusing bottles most of the day until her night time bottle. She will never drink more than about 3 ounces no matter how much we try.
So today I was doing my monthly herd check up and we were feeling the mama's udder to make sure everything was ok and she has milk again! Now I don't know what to do. Do I keep trying to bottle feed? Do I back off to a couple of feedings per day just to make sure mom is able to keep up? Should we stop letting her nurse off of the milk goat in the morning? I need an expert to tell me how to proceed!

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Sounds like baby maybe nursing mom and not hungry for the bottle. I would back off and keep a close eye on baby for hunger signs. Weigh her every few days and See if mom is able to hold her own. Or maybe offer one bottle a day to be sure she does ok.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I looked all over for a growth/weight chart for Nigerian dwarf babies and couldn’t find one. If anyone else does, please let me know because I’d love to have one. All I could find was a little anecdotal information here or there from people, and not a big pool of it either. It seems about 1.5 - 2lbs per week is considered good weight gain for some. I would guess the gain is normal for her age and size, but it’s a guess. So to gain between 0.2 and 0.3 lbs per day is probably good.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is honestly only 6 pounds at 1 month old? She is definitely not gaining well.
That's what my husband measured when he weighed her. Our small scale stopped working so we are just using the bathroom scale while holding her then without. I don't really trust it to be accurate.
She was only about 2 pounds at birth and has been gaining about 1.5 pounds per week.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really need an accurate weight on her. Was she bottle fed or on mom?
I will go out and get a scale today.
She has been on mom and we have been supplementing with a bottle 3 times per day and one additional feeding on a different goat (full size Nubian). She has started to refuse the daytime bottles though. I've been basically trying to force her, and once I get it in her mouth she will finally drink a little, but isn't very interested. She also nibbles on grass all day. Poop is normal. She pees frequently. She jumps and plays and is very active. Her tummy almost always feels full. I really have seen no signs since like 2 days old (that's when we started supplementing) that she was under nourished.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would defer to @ksalvagno on this because I’m not nearly as experienced. I was going off what I could find online and off my ND runt (I think the breeder said she was right at or just under 2lbs at birth), only weighed 14.6 lbs when we got her at 10 weeks, and then weighed 19.4 lbs at about 15 weeks (last week). From 10 weeks to 15, they all gained an average of a lb a week, (even though my other two are bigger) and that was with weaning and a short battle with coccidia. All their fecals are good now, and they still seem to only gain a lb a week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts