Bottle baby with diareah

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RPC, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

My new little bottle baby Cashmere has been battleing diareah since before I got her. It is not real bad but it isn't the berry's I want. She is super active and not lathargic. She is getting fed a milk mixture of 1 gallon Vit. D milk, 6oz of evapirated milk, and 1 3/4 cups buttermilk. She gets 3 bottles a day about 15 oz. She was stunted at birth because her mom didn't really feed her much for the first week and the breeder had 9 does kid all in one week so she didn't notice at first this little one slipping behind but once she did she stepped in and tried holding the mom. Well it didn't work and she became a bottle baby. And now i have her. I just wanted to know if I could put something in her milk to help her firm up her poop. Thanks so much in advance for reading my super long post.

2. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    you can give her some pepto....that should help.

How old is she? When we did that mixture last year I noticed it was real rich for the baby and she did get the runs real bad. We finally switched to just plain Vit. D milk...I also did that this year with 2 of my bottle babies and no runs :)

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would bet there is a cocci issue going on. That's probably more of the cause of the stunting than the lack of feed. Has she been treated for cocci?

Jefferslivestock.com has a couple different cocci treatments. Baycox works pretty good from my experience. The directions are on the packet and I think there are previous threads on the dosage and whatnot on here. Try the search at the top of the page.

If not cocci then I agree with the above post could be a milk issue going on...but sounds like you're doing everything right. ;)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How old is the kid?

Stunted at birth (small).... means ...the baby didn't get enough nutrients from momma ... while she was forming....

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Maybe stunted isn't the right word I am useing she is just a little smaller then her brothers. She was born january 25th and she is just a little smaller then I think she should be. I think if I get this diareah under control we will be a lot better off.

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I would try the plain whole milk, thats what we use for the bottle babys seems to work great.

7. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

newmama30+ there are a number of good mixtures out there for bottle babies, including the one he is using. I have used all three and find ive had great results with all of them. :)

RPC- have you given her anything for the diahrea? Someone suggested Pepto, has that been given?

8. LuckytohaveFarm

LuckytohaveFarm New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    How old is she? If she is around 3 weeks, is she nibbling on hay yet? Any foul smell or particular color to the diarrhea? Different colors and odors have different causes.

I'd cut back to whole milk for a feeding or two and see if that works. Could try pepto bismuth to firm her up. Or scour halt. Make sure your bottle/nipple and her pen are clean. Is she mouthing things, could be that she has ingested something that isn't agreeing with her stomach. Also, cocci is a possibility. If you have a microscope, you can check for cocci easily. If not, you could run a fecal by the local vet. Most vets will only charge $6-10 for a fecal.

Good luck with the little cutie!

Jillian McIntosh
    Luckytohave Farm

9. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well She was actually on milk replacer at the breeders house and she was in the process of transfering her over to the milk mixture because of the scours. Now I will check her at this feeding but at the one this after noon she had a clean rear end. She has been off the formula for 4 feedings and just on the milk mixture. So we will see how it goes. The breeder did this mixture last year with tripletes that their mom died 2 days after kidding and they all grew well so I am going to try it a little longer before I switch again since I just bought everything for it. Hopefully she will have a clear rear end tonight also. This weekend i am going to put the creep feeder in. I didn't want to let her have feed plus milk plus a new house for the first week just so we get everything in order first and so she didn't scour worse.

10. LuckytohaveFarm

LuckytohaveFarm New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Glad she is doing much better.

I didn't realize that you had only had her for 4 feedings. It sounded like from the original posting that this was a long term issue. You also didn't mention that she had just been switched from milk replacer to the formula you posted in the original post. Everyone, including me, was trying to figure out why that particular home formula would cause such issues. HA HA ....

Glad the milk replacer has moved through her system.

Jillian McIntosh
    Luckytohave Farm

11. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am sorry. My first post was from my phone and I had been working all day so I was tired. I just reread it any your right I was confusing.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So happy... she has a clean bum....that is terrific news... :cool:

the milk replacers ..don't agree with babies for some reason... :( ...you would think.. they'd get it right by now.....as the replacer... creates so many issues with babies...

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I had the opposite problem...the whole milk recipe gave my kids the worst scours...it was just awful. :( However within 2 days of putting them on Snowflakes kid replacer they cleared up and are growing like weeds...more expensive but definitely worth it for our situation. :)