The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's off bottle and has been for weeks. He won't drink out of bucket unless I put my fingers in bucket and tries to nurse. Then he puts whole head under water eyes open, I have to pick his head up for him to breath. He wouldn't touch it for days if I didn't help him. What do I do?

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
use a more shallow dish for him..add a bit of molasses to make it taste good...and as Karen said..show him how...but do keep watch he stays hydrated...if he isn't getting enough I would offer a bottle of electrolytes to keep him hydrated a few times a day until he catches on...( never bottle feed plain water)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get down there and show him. Is he your only goat? Usually babies have mom to show them how to do it.
Please take a video of this if you do it. :)

I'm having the opposite problem. 2 month old wethers I want to bottle feed for awhile and they have no idea why I keep putting a bottle in their face.

What about those hanging water nozzles?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have 7 total. He is with another bottle baby wether, that's off bottle at same time that one seems to b doing fine. I separate them when feeding. I get his head up so his nose is out of the water, but when I let his head go he goes down, as far as where his horns were.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
use a more shallow dish for him..add a bit of molasses to make it taste good...and as Karen said..show him how...but do keep watch he stays hydrated...if he isn't getting enough I would offer a bottle of electrolytes to keep him hydrated a few times a day until he catches on...( never bottle feed plain water)
I will try the molasses tomorrow, he is hydrated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
yiks..he really gets in there lol...yah..try a more shallow dish that he can not get his whole face in...you will need to refill more often but its safer...
look forward to when you can post the video lol

·
Super Moderator
59,593 Posts
I'm amazed that he is willing to put his face in so far!

It is really hard to get older kids on the bottle. 8 weeks old is ok to wean if you can't get them to take the bottle.

·
8,336 Posts
Thanks for the laugh at the photos! (I'm sure it is frustrating for you, but the picture its' self sure is funny!)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I've changed his bucket to a bowl, tried the molasses still not drinking on his own. I have to put my fingers in the water to get him to drink. He will look at the bowl or bucket, even smell at it
But won't touch it. It's like he's looking for my fingers. I can't keep doing this till show time. What do ya'll think if i tried a bucket with a nipple on it
At least he will drink and I don't have to water him every 2 to 4 hours

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
its not good to feed water through a bottle, im sure its the same with a bucket nipple..you can make electrolytes for him and try that..I dont know if I gave you this recipe but here it is again :)

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the recipe I will try that.

I'm new to the goat world, why is it bad to do water in a bottle or bucket? Is it just because they need to learn to drink normally? I don't know

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Made me laugh too. New guy trying not to litter the board with new guy posts so I didn't say anything but I liked it. That is hilarious. Too bad you can't enjoy saving it to show him when he grows up.

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
usually these things are like the "Little bo Peep" story...leave them alone and they come home.... but in his case..he will drink...keeping a dish that is shallow will help keep his from inhaling too much water...which its self can cause issues..but usually they will drink..he just needs time...but I would certainly keep an eye on him to be sure he stayed hydrated..I had to give a few bottles of electrolytes a day to one doe to keep her hydrated until she got it... but I think she liked the electros so much she would have liked for me to keep giving the bottles lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well nothing new here. He still won't drink till I show him, when he does he still wants to put his head in it. We did go buy a replacement for him. ( just in case he drowns himself) my daughter can still show. I'm not giving up yet!!

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
if his dish is shallow he wont drown ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts