Bottle Baby

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Mar 1, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    As a lot of you may know, I now have a two-day-old bottle baby living in my house. I am giving her mostly fresh Nigerian milk from Lyla and Honey but I did mix in a little frozen Nigerian milk. I am using the Pritchard teat but it seems too big. Should I be using a different nipple? Maybe one for human babies? Does everyone use the Pritchard teat?

She weighs 2.2 lbs. at two days old. Yesterday she was near-dead but I "resurrected" her. ;) She is suckling well and quite strong now. I am giving her bottle whenever she cries for it, which is about every 2-3 hours. Is this often enough? She doesn't drink a whole lot, maybe an ounce or two. Is that enough? I don't really want to force her but also want to make sure she is getting enough.

Sorry for all the questions. We haven't had a bottle-baby this young in a long time and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

2. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    While I'm not sure about the nipple (I'm used to bigger Dairy kids) If you can get her to drink an oz or 2 every 2 hrs she should do fine.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have used both those types of nipples. I had "Lucky" on the prichard nipple, but he was about 4.75lbs, so he was twice as big as your baby. You should be fine with either. I'd put a little Karo syrup in the milk. How's she doing this morning? Small amounts of milk are probably fine, she'll take more as she "gets the hang of it". Good luck, I must have missed this birth announcement, I'll go look for it. :pray:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1-2 ouces every 2 hours is good. I use human baby bottles (cut an X in the top so the milk flows better) but the pritchard nipples are hear are good - you can choose the size of the hole, maybe get a new nipple and cut the hole so it is smaller.

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Here is my bottle feeding schedule for Minis. I know it says pritchard teats work best (which is what I was told at the time I made this chart because I had never done a bottle baby personally), but I actually found that the couple of bottle babies I had prefered the human baby bottle :shrug: So you could give that a try :wink: Let us know how it goes! And feel free to copy the chart if you like it! I also have it in a Microsoft Word file.. if you would prefer it like that let me know and I can email it to you :wink:

[​IMG]

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I like to feed bottle babies every two hours, no later. And if the nipple seems to big, you could try a smaller one, but you're probably going to want to stay with the same nipple the whole time. So if you switch to a small one, then it will be a little harder to put her on a bigger one since she'll be used to it.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I am feeding her when she cries for it. . . which last night was every two hours "on the dot!" :hair: I need some more :ZZZ:

She is drinking a little more now and getting even more used to the Pritchard teat, so I am not going to switch it.

I got some cute pictures of her last night and need to upload them to my computer.

8. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I really feel for ya hun. I am right now taken care of two new borns that where born last thursday and also a few that are 11 weeks and under. All fo them are still on the bottle. You are doing what I have been doing and seem like you are doing great. Every 2-3 hours sound about right and take naps durning the day. I do that a lot. I am also waiten one one more doe to go and that is the last of the baies goats this season. Because we have smaller goats we actuly use human baby nipples on ours. Just cutting the hole a little bigger in the bottles. Them seem to do fine with them but keep usen the nipples that the little ones are use too. Watch there poo. But this is probly stuff you already know about. Well I am going to ramble on if I do nto cut myself off now. Just to let you know adventualy the little one will sleep through the night. Last night I got a 4 hour nap until I got woken up by a maa maa mat. LIttle one demanding to get feed!