The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eight month old boer cross that was a surprise delivery. When we found them, Mom was busy with the last two and had forgotten her first born. She was hypothermic and took many hours to get her body temp up. Frankly I'm surprised she lived. We took her to a friend who is better suited to hard cases, in a week the goat was returned. She lived in our house in diapers and grew up thinking she is a dog. We had her in the house about four months until it was warm enough outside (Michigan), because she had severely bowed legs and other minor deformities. When we brought her down to the barn, she got her own stall and very slowly learned to eat feed and hay. We put braces on her legs, and they got somewhat stronger. When the field was high we let her out to pasture with the rest. She refuses to acknowledge the other goats and browses on her own far away from the rest. We have two adult females, a yearling wether, and her brother sharing a 200 square foot barn. We need her stall. Can I house her with the rest? She can't run very good, but there are a couple if ledges she can hide under. Thanks!

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
As long as she has plenty of space to get away from any bullies and is strong enough to do so...I think she will be better with the herd..learn to be a goat...it might take time..but just keep a close watch on her, be sure she is thriving...as for her brother..I hope he is wethered..or he is already breeding his mom and any other doe in with him ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, as a matter of fact, that's why we need the stall. The spoiled brat is still on the teat! We thought Mom weaned him and couldn't figure out why she was losing weight! Boy did I feel terrible when I realized my mistake. I should have known to ask around if moms will wean their kids on their own. It's our first year. I'm SO glad I found this forum!!

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Some does will ween others will let the nurse as long as they want lol..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We thought Mom weaned him and couldn't figure out why she was losing weight!
In my experience - very, very few does will wean their kids on their own. Even if they do, it won't be earlier than 5-6 months at the earliest, and that will take a very serious toll on the doe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts