The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have lots of different livestock, and just agreed to take on an orphan calf whose mom died, but have never had experience with a bottle calf. We have lots of Nubian goats and plenty of goats milk. We have read that a calf can be raised on goat milk, but that they have sensitive stomachs and to watch for scours, etc. Any information on raising a bottle calf would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have done half goat milk half replacer before and the calf grew great. I don’t see why you couldn’t use full goat milk on a calf. We use whole milk on kids and they grow just about as good on that as they do on mom.
Honestly I think calf’s have a stronger stomach then kids do. I have had WAY more scour issues in goats then I have in calf’s. Actually the only time I have ever had scours one a calf was when I didn’t read the mixing directions of replacer once and mixed it 2X what it should have been. Mixing it correctly fixed that though.
Calf’s I think are easier. The only thing I think is harder is their butts! And they LOVE to aim for the crotch lol

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My last calf was raised on a mix of goat milk and replacer as well. He did great. The breeder of my buck actually would feed a calf off of my bucks dam twice a day. So that was on full goat milk and they did well from what I was told(I would worry about them hurting a goat with bumping though. As said, it is much harder than a goat!). I had scours once in my calf. Gave him electrolytes and he was ok after a day. I haven't had any crazy issues with scours so can't give much more help than that.

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
We have lots of different livestock, and just agreed to take on an orphan calf whose mom died, but have never had experience with a bottle calf. We have lots of Nubian goats and plenty of goats milk. We have read that a calf can be raised on goat milk, but that they have sensitive stomachs and to watch for scours, etc. Any information on raising a bottle calf would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

We usually use a good milk replacer and they do fine. I do like with the bb goats. Feed several times a day and go down a feed once a month. But still leave the colume of milk the same just take away a feed time. If that makes sense. But i am home most of the time so i can feed this way. Land o lakes makes a really good replacer. And like jessica said.... mix it properly. They always have access to hay, water and mineral from the time they get here too. When they are a monthish old i start putting out a little frain for them.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
My mom and dad bottle raised a calf from 3 days old to 4 months old my mom said they just used milk replacer. the only problem was the calf liked my dad more then my mom lol best of luck to yall!

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
We raise on full goats milk and they do great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.