Bottle Fed Baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by angle219, Mar 4, 2011.

1. angle219

angle219 New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    We have a baby that we are having to bottle feed. She is three weeks old, and she has been doing fine; but today she is not finishing her bottle. We are giving her about 12 to 14 ounces four times a day. We have hay and feed out for her, but we haven't seen her eating any feed. We have seen her nimble on her hay. What could be the problem today that is causing her not to finish her bottle? Do we need to cut back on her feedings?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Take her temp and see... if anything is going on there...if it is normal... try cutting back some on her feedings.....

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a few I am bottle feeding also but they are eating more hay and grain so they are not eating as much. I only feed my babies twice a day.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    What breed is this kid? I would cut back the amounts in her bottle they seem a bit high

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I was told 10-12% body weight. So for example if she is 10 pounds, 16 oz per pound = 160 oz of body weight. so 16 oz TOTAL for the day (at 10%). At 3 weeks you can be feeding 3 times a day instead of 4. At a month you can cut down to 2 times a day. (I do feed a bit more than I should like maybe 15%)

So, you are feeding way too much. Are her poops normal? we got a nigi buckiling bottle baby rescue whose owners were feeding him way to much and he had nasty nasty diahrea. She should be pelleting.

Also, my bottle baby nubian didn't start really eating grain until last week and she is 7 weeks old. She would mouth it and spit it out. Now she inhales it, its like a switch just turned on! I have to be careful not to give her too much now.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would feed mroe for the total of the day but I would keep the feedings small and more frequent to mimic normal feeding behavior from mom

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    my example was for only 10 pounds. depending on her breed she may be much more than that.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im just saying for a 10lb kid I would still give more milk over all for the day.

I go more by age then by weight. But each person has their own methods that help them determine what works best for their situation.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Yeah, I know :) the 10-12% body weight came from the vet when Rowdy was so sick with diahrea and we didn't know what was wrong. He did say we could cheat it up once the poos were normal. But if the poos are not normal then you have to dry them up and get them normal because if it goes on too long the intestinal wall is damaged and they no longer absorb nutrients. Then they slowely starve to death, even though they are getting gobbs of food. I feel this is what happened to my rescue Rowdy. This is why I asked about the poos. Also, at 3 weeks, she should be eating some hay even if she isn't really eating grain and that adds to the overall calories she gets. Right now I do feed only the 10% for my doeling as she eats grain and hay very well now. But I was feeding more like 15% before when milk was really all she was eating. Also, each animal is different and you just gotta use your head when it comes to knowing if they are getting enough.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes Im quite aware of the dangers of scours and the age for eating solid foods. ;)

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Gosh, wow, I really didn't mean to offend you. I thought that maybe the author of the thread might be new to goats like me and might want to know what I have learned through hard experiences. I will gladly butt out of the way, now.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My bottle kids in the house eat every couple hours... usually when they start trying to suck my clothes and toes. That really tickles!!

They get as much as they want. I haven't had any issues with the runs.

Some bottle kids will NOT eat hay until they are about 2 months old. I have one that would not touch hay until 2 months.

So yes, every goat is going to be different. Personally I would cut down on the amount the kid is getting and make bottles more frequent for a couple days.

What breed is the kid and what kind of milk are you feeding?