The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due to have a new baby any day. I have 4 goats that have been bottle fed & are very friendly. This is the moms first freshening & mine too. I am debating on bottle feeding or dam feeding. The mom was not bottle fed & is not as friendly as the others...although she has made a lot of progress. Any opinions??

·
Registered
30,205 Posts
I agree with Tenacross..and as for friendliness...a dam raised baby will be as friendly as a bottle baby if you spend time with them..even if mom is less than friendly...we have a lamancha that was wild..she is better after two years..still does not let us just "pet" her but her babies are always in your face friendly...best of luck in kidding : )

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes!! I am definitely not preggo!! Lol. Even though i feel like its me having the baby. Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna let the "real" mom try to raise her. :)

·
375 Posts
I have done both and I very much prefer dam raising! It is less time consuming and if we ever want to take a quick vacation we don't have to find someone who can milk and bottle feed, the goats take care of that themselves. All of our dam raised kids have been super friendly, we take a few extra minutes at feeding time to sit out with them and socialize them.

Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
www.walshkidsgoats.com
Like us on Facebook!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have 4 goats that have been bottle fed & are very friendly. This is the moms first freshening & mine too. I am debating on bottle feeding or dam feeding. The mom was not bottle fed & is not as friendly as the others...although she has made a lot of progress. Any opinions??
I would never pull a kid off his/her dam without a very good reason because 1) bottle reared kids rarely do as well as dam reared, 2) I dislike being tied down by the feeding schedule, 3) It is entirely too easy to kill them if you don't know what you are doing, 4) I hate bottle babies. They never fit into the herd, they are always underfoot and in the way, and they are a royal pain in the butt to deal with. IMHO, the only time a bottle baby has the advantage is during kidding time, and possibly hoof trimming time.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh GoatCrazy how I agree!
Dam raising is the BEST! My does are very friendly so taming the kids is no prob! They get very big being on the dam.
And they will be friendly, but not in the way, or pushy-in your face ALL THE TIME. I really dont like bottle babies, as they think they are your baby forever, and that is annoying. No they never really fit in with the rest.
I actually am having to bottle feed two babies because their mother decided she did not want to be their mother. Grrrr! I am SO angry with that doe. She raised her last kids just fine, but not this year. BTW this is only a 2 year old doe! IF she does it again next year her butt is on the line
At least the kids are cute and super pretty, so I will at least will give a rats a** if the doeling lives. She's only 2 days old right now, and I am not looking forward to the next 12 weeks. I already have bottle calves, the last thing I needed is a doe regecting her kids!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Oh GoatCrazy how I agree!
Dam raising is the BEST! My does are very friendly so taming the kids is no prob! They get very big being on the dam.
And they will be friendly, but not in the way, or pushy-in your face ALL THE TIME. I really dont like bottle babies, as they think they are your baby forever, and that is annoying. No they never really fit in with the rest.
I actually am having to bottle feed two babies because their mother decided she did not want to be their mother. Grrrr! I am SO angry with that doe. She raised her last kids just fine, but not this year. BTW this is only a 2 year old doe! IF she does it again next year her butt is on the line
At least the kids are cute and super pretty, so I will at least will give a rats a** if the doeling lives. She's only 2 days old right now, and I am not looking forward to the next 12 weeks. I already have bottle calves, the last thing I needed is a doe regecting her kids!
I hear ya! I have no patience with a doe that rejects/abandons her kids, and the first time is the last time around here without a damned good reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts