Bottle feed to avoid mastitis from sore mouth?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pjn02, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    My doe stlill has sore mouth, going on two weeks. Treating it daily with iodine and oregano oil tincture. It hasn't gotten worse but not going away. She is due to kid in the next day or so. Her udder had scabs but those are clearing up with daily iodine application, nearly gone. i am worried she will infect the babies who may then infect her nipples and cause mastitis. Don't have time to bottle feed, we both work full time, but I certainly don't have time to treat mastitis either, or ruin our best milker! Should I pull the babies and bottle feed? It is three times per day feedings, correct? Never had to bottle feed. I could take them to work with me if I had to.

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I posted on the other post about this, but will post here as well :) It sounds like she is well on her way to be done with this, once it has done its thing its done. Your kids are going to get it, there is nothing you can do about it what so ever. If it was my doe I would let the kids still nurse and keep a eye on her, again it sounds like she is almost doe with all this any ways ;)

3. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks. I feel better reading everyone else's experiences. I purchased some today treatment so I am ready to combat any further cases that crop up. I was most concerned about her teats getting infected. I feel less stressed and will be checking for labor signs every couple hours....looks like she's getting very close! I'm excited again rather than worried. Thanks

4. AdamsAcres

AdamsAcres HaileyBailey

Dec 3, 2012
    I had a girl I purchased that showed with Sore Mouth a few weeks before she kidded. It pretty much cleared up just before she kidded. The baby has never shown signs of it. Some say the baby may develop some sort of immunity to the particular strain of sore mouth the mom had while in utero and not have any symptoms. Just keep an eye on them. Hopefully, as in my case, all will be just fine.

5. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Its not a bad idea to have some today around any ways. It is a very stressful thing at first but then after your read about the horable things on the net and you deal with it you realize its not that bad. I remember when I first got it everyone said it wasnt that bad, I thought they were crazy, but now they were right. I have had does that had it on their teats while nursing, they get sore and dont let the kids nurse as much, but were fine. Well happy kidding :)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IF the kids end up with it... I'd be watching their food intake as well as weight gain, sore mouth with babies can make them not want to eat due to the pain :(

7. Hollowdweller

Hollowdweller Member

May 5, 2011

That would be my concern that the kids will be way behind due to the pain of nursing with sore mouths.

8. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Babies arrived early on Friday. Two adorable boys. Pearls scabs are falling off on one side of her sore mouth...good sign it is nearing the end. I purchased some ToDAY mastitis treatment since it is supposed to help get rid of sore mouth fairly quickly. Will treat babies or other pen mates if they get it. Glad to hear other babies have managed to eat okay despite it. I think I got it though. A small spot on my thumb that itches and burns like the dickens. I treated it with oregano oil under a bandaid and it is hardly noticeable tonight. Good sign that early treatment may be a good strategy. I've gone thru a box of gloves the past two days and still managed to get it. Ugh

9. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Just a thought...since the mother doe already had this infection, wouldn't she be less likely to contract it back on her udder or teats from the babies? The scabs that were on her udder are pretty much cleared up. There is immunity...so I'm hoping that she won't get reinfected if her babies end up with it. Can't see how they won't. She is he most attentive mom and constantly licking on them. She's such a proud mama, I'm glad I left them with her.

10. AdamsAcres

AdamsAcres HaileyBailey

Dec 3, 2012
    The mother doe will not contract it again. Not this particular strain any way. I hope you have no more problems and mom and babies do fine!

"I purchased some ToDAY mastitis treatment since it is supposed to help get rid of sore mouth fairly quickly."

Also, Today is to treat mastitis, does nothing for sore mouth. Not that I've ever heard of any way. :)

11. Pjn02

Pjn02 New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    There are videos and other posts that swear by the ingredients in Today helping to dry up the scabs quicker. I have used iodine and oregano oil combo and swabbed it twice a day. It stings a little so she hates it, but the scabs are drying and falling off. I switched to just iodine once every other day now to prevent 2ndary infection. So far babies r ok, only two days old. I figure having today on hand is prep for both sore mouth and mastitis....hope I never have to use any! Btw..I have contracted it on my thumb and both wrists...only 4 tiny lesions so far. Yikes, this is a real drag. I have gone thru many boxes of gloves but still got it. I did handle the babies without gloves on occasion...that probably did it.

12. AdamsAcres

AdamsAcres HaileyBailey

Dec 3, 2012
    Interesting. I'll have to look that up! :)

13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I know tomorrow is good for snake bites or ***** sores. I dont really see today doing anything for the sore mouth but I would give it a try and see how it goes, I have been proved wrong many times lol. I am so sorry you have it, that is my BIGGEST fear. My husband has those cheap rubber gloves and I steal them all the time. Another thing you can use and it does help dry it out is listerean mouth wash (sp check) then when it does dry out I use bag balm or anything that will keep it soft. I get cold sores and those suckers hurt so I feel for the poor kids :( and yes I have yet to have a kid die from sore mouth but it does knock them back a bit on gaining weight.