The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum so id like to say HI and hit everyone with a few questions around a suitable weaning program and some weird things I have noticed.

Bit of a back story, I’m currently bottle feeding 12 baby goats which are all types of breeds. 7 males and 5 females, all around the same age of 46 days. They were all separated from the herd at a day old, I had one that was still wet from being born. We were doing feeds all through the night at the start and some feeds would take us two - three hours as some of the little ones struggled and refused to drink but we pulled through that with little sleep and many prayers for the weaklings hahaha. We are now down to giving them just two feeds a day of 500ml but they still seem so frantic and hungry for more & I should say extremely loud. Should we be giving them more? They are eating silage and grass now but I don’t think they are having much water.

I would like some direction on a suitable weaning program, at the moment we do a feed at 5am and 5pm then they get locked in the shed for the night and let out during the whole day to graze. Me males are starting to smell and annoy the other kids a lot.

I am also worried as I noticed on a few of the kids that they are developing a small bald spot in between their horns? Is this normal or should I be doing something about it?

Would love some input and look forward to learning some new things on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old are they now? Are the males and females in separate pens? Are you going to wether the males?

You can try putting a little molasses or electrolytes in the water to encourage drinking.
Thanks for replying, they are roughly around the 46 day mark...no the males and females are all together at this stage, should I be separating them? We may wether the males haven't made a decision on that.

Okay great idea, we have been giving them some electrolytes in between feeds but will try some molasses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts