Bottle Feeding Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by clov3rjoy, Feb 26, 2013.

1. clov3rjoy

clov3rjoy New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    One of our does kidded yesterday, her first time, at some time in the pm. It's a little earlier than we were expecting, so we didn't think to check on her when we got home last night. I went out a little later (8pm) to close the barn up for them, and found the newcomer. I suspect that she was born before 5pm when we came home though, as the other goats were out, and Gypsy (the mama) was alone in the barn and bleated to us as we came in.

We saw the little one up and moving about, and mama was interacting with her, so I closed the mama and baby in the barn by themselves and we went to bed. This morning we let them out, and I gave mama some alfalfa and some molasses mixture... it was after a little while that we realised that Gypsy wasn't letting her baby nurse. She'd stamp and kick, and wouldn't let the baby touch the tit. We are pretty sure she didn't let the baby nurse all night. Figuring that she was probably tender and sore, we milked her by hand, and fed the baby some with a syringe. Then we put the babe back out with the Mom, and I set about building our bonding pen out of the wind, against the house (it's cold and really windy here, rapid city, SD). The mother was affectionate, nuzzles the kid etc, but just won't stand still to let her nurse. After a while though, Mama went back inside and left the kid lying in the wind. Uh oh. So we brought the kid back inside for a bottle feeding and then put mama and baby into the pen by the house. Baby lay down straight away and didn't get up again. Just lay there panting. Mama nuzzled her a bit, then left her to eat some alfalfa, then lay down near the baby (but not touching). We left them together two hours. Baby didn't get up once...So we tried to help... tied mama to a leash, and held her legs, while encouraging baby to the nipple... but now the baby wasn't interested, and just seemed way too weak. We eventually got the baby to stand under mama's belly for a little bit... but mama was struggling intermittently and baby wasn't making any effort to nurse... just swaying slightly and looking waaaay groggy. So now baby is back in the house, by the fire, and we're feeding her her mama's milk by syringe, as much as possible. So far... maybe 200 ml consumed since this morning.

I guess for now we'll be hand feeding her and try her with her mom again tomorrow. Now that she's inside, it doesn't seem good to be putting her outside again, it's really windy and quite cold (high of 44'F earlier, but it'll freeze overnight), but we really want her mama to raise her. So we'll keep trying.

The baby was so perky last night, and pretty perky this morning, but was fading fast and looking REALLY sluggish and zombie-like when we brought her in the last time. We did manage to get her sucking down milk though, and now she's just curled up sleeping.

All advice welcome.

x
    CloverJoy

2. clov3rjoy

clov3rjoy New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    On the other hand, she might have had more like 500ml / 16 oz since this morning... and she's about 24 hours old.

Also should have mentioned that we gave her coffee and molasses twice to try and bump start her. Maybe was a mistake, but time will tell.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mom is probably in pain and doesn't understand that letting the kid nurse will help ease the pain. I would milk mom out and save the milk for the kid.

How much does the kid weigh? I like to start with 1 ounce per pound and feed every 4-6 hours from about 6am till about 11pm. If the kid doesn't finish a bottle, don't force the kid to try and finish.

You need to make sure the kid's temp is over 100 before giving any bottles.

4. clov3rjoy

clov3rjoy New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    well the kid was up and walking unsteadily in the house... and pooped a fair bit. Hooray,

but then we checked her temp. well we already fed it, but just checked the temp with an electronic thermometer rectally... 96.4, then 97.5, then 98.6... maybe we stimulated it with the probe?

Anyway, it's low... we've now given her a bath in 105' water, towelling her off and keeping her in a box by the fire with a heating pad and electric blanket, and plenty of blankets

5. ksalvagno

6. clov3rjoy

clov3rjoy New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    unfortunately, Moonbeam died last night at about 9 oclock.

7. ksalvagno

I'm so sorry you lost her. :(