Bottle feeding = Better personality??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I just got a ff doe who was bottle fed as a kid and she is just a dream! I can clip her udder/legs and she doesn't even move an inch! She also stand completely still for milking and she only freshened Feb. 13. So is this a bottle feeding thing??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a lot of time yes. I know my bottle fed doe was much easier to milk and handle that way from the start then my dam raised does.

But that was just 2 experiences and I wouldn;t say it is across the board but I would think it certainly can only help because the doe is use to people and being handled.

3. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    My bottle fed doe is similar, but she is so friendly it is almost annoying. My favorite doe is not bottle raised, and is a tad shy if she has not met you, but she doesn't invade your personal space!

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I agree with hornless- maybe less shy but a lot more pushy.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    They tend to be friendly but sometimes to much.I have a bottle baby that practically thinks she's a dog.She jumps & wags her tail all the time.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I mean better behaved while milking etc... I think that when they are young they do tend to be pushy. I spend so much time with my goats, ,none of them are shy AT ALL but the bottle babies are easier to clip and milk and any thing else that is hands on.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree 100%

And Chelsey it doesn't matter how old they get the bottle fed ones tend to be friendly to the point of being anoying! Not all but in my experience 98%

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My bottle fed doe is the worst out of all of my goats when it comes to trimming hooves which I just did this morning.She's also the worst when it comes time to worm them.I did that this morning too.I just don't get it. :?

9. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    My bottle baby lets me do ALMOST anything to him. He doesn't like his ears messed with and he likes to try and climb on me when I trim his hooves. Other than that, he's amazing with worming. He actually tries to suck for Ivermectin out of the tube. He is good about letting me inspect him and he follows me like a dog.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only bottle baby I have dealt with is Chief and HE IS A ROYAL PAIN. He would rather be with me or my hubby instaed of the other goats, he is little right now but when he's bigger I really don't think I'd like him THAT friendly. He's always up on me and does tend to try and push the others away from me, as far as my other goats go, all were dam raised and very friendly, my adult does will stand to be milked and I have no problems with hoof trimming. The babies are all friendly and will climb all over me, I handle their feet and such so that they get used to the "hands on" type touching. So in my opinion bottled kids are over friendly and dam raised depends entirely on how much human contact they get.

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i bottle raise all of mine & always have. i do have to agree that some times they are just to friendly & are right there when you are trying to walk. i have never dam raised one but have a friend in maine that has boers that are all dam raised & yet they are all very friendle but not to the agravating way mine can be. i think it is how much time you spend with them as little ones. i laet all my babiews out of there stall to play in the barn & they love to play on the milk stand & i will give them some grain on there & start picking up there feet. which you can do with those that are dam raised also. i think mostly it is a personal preference & what works for me might not work for you. just do what works best for you & your herd.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The majority of the does that I have bought are bottle fed and some are really really super nice and easy to handle, but others are just like regular goats and won't let you touch them. The kids I have raised personally are a lot nicer though.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have one bottle baby and she will never agree with me on the fact that she is a goat, not a human! I can do anything with her and I can't wait to milk her. She already lets me touch her teats and everything. She should be due in June. She still tries and climb in my lap and sleep there. She is definitely more pushy than the other goats and has no idea what personal space is! I just love her though and wouldn't change a thing about her. :love:

14. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I have to say I really haven't seen any of our bottlefed babies be to braty. They are acctually pretty tame and friendly. Now, I think bucket feeding could be just as bad as dam raising because a few of the ones i've raised on the bucket have been pretty ornery as they get older. One of my 3rd gen does-Lucy-is wild as a march hare-and she was bottlefed/bucketfed as a kid. Her mom was also wild. But I know it wasn't a genetic thing since i've had kids out of her that were absolute sweethearts.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I only have a limited bit of experience on this but I can say it has nothing to do with whether they're bottle raised as to whether or not they behave for milking etc.

Examples:

Petite, Contredanse, Potsie and Anna are all bottle babies. Petite and Pots are nightmares on the milk stand and I mean nightmares. You cannot milk Petite and that's that. Just to dry her off last year was a nightmare. I was told this before I got her and it proved 100% true. I've only had Pots on the stand a little and she's fought me the whole way. She was milked last year for 10 months so she must behave somehow. Contredanse was just like you described. A total angel to be clipped etc. I haven't tried milking her yet. But she was such an angel. Anna hates being touched on the udder and I haven't clipped her yet. She's not freshened yet so I can't say much about her udder in milking.

So that's my experience thus far.

That being said I can tell you also what I've learned about goats in showing and clipping. Those who are not friendly tend to behave on the stand for clipping and showing. Those who are friendly tend to show out more. Its like they're so comfortable with you that they know they can get away with more. The wild ones feel they maybe getting tortured soon so they do exactly what you want. Haha

16. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I think it all depends on how they are raised. About half my herd were bottle raised and the other half were dam raised. The only one I have that I would say went through a bratty faze was my boer doe, and she was only half bottle raised (left on her mom, but supplimented). But she seems to have out grown it (she's a year and a half).

Two of my nigis were bottle raised, w/ my 3 bucks you'd probably not know which one, but I also raised the other two and babies I raise (dam or bottle) tend to be friendly anyway. I guess the closest I have to annoying would be the one (dam raised) that likes to rear up on my leg and have me scratch his head, he doesn't annoy me, but I could see how he might other people. My nigi doe that was bottle raised is still pretty young and hasn't kidded yet, but I would bet it will be no problem milking her, right now she likes to have her udder rubbed, and will stand all day to let me do it!

I guess it would also depend on a persons idea of annoying, it seems some would rather not touch the goat unless they need to (for trimming, worming, etc.) so a goat that comes over wanting a pet would be considered annoying. Personally I like that my goats like being with me, only my Willow (bottle raised) gets on me, but she's not pushy about it, if I push her away she leaves me alone. The rest just hang out, usually all laying down within 10 feet or so, basicly we just hang out. And it's everyone, dam raised and bottle raised.

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have three goats that routinely (SP?) jump up on me, only one of which is a bottle baby. The babies I rased are super friendly and act like botle babies, but a tad less "dependant"

18. Goatgirl4life

Goatgirl4life New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Hi everyone!! I'm a new member!!! :stars:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Friendly goats that want attention such as a brushing or a scratch and pat aren't annoying to me, it's the way the only bottle baby I have absolutely has to grab my fingers or push his way through my small herd to be on me, all my goats will jump up to get a treat but he is literally trying to jump in my arms. He'll be a year old in a week and still thinks he's a baby needing a bottle...and a brat! Sweet lil' guy and my goats are given affection every day, not just when it's time to trim hooves or vaccinate, theres just a very noticeable difference between Chief and my other goats.

20. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    All of my older girls were bottle raised and 2 of them still took a while to quit being so jumpy in the milkstand. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the bottle. I think it's just how they are raised in general. I don't bottle feed if I don't have to and those kids grow up to be just as sweet as their mom's. They all have different personalities. :wink: