The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again, needing some advice please, my wife decided she wanted to bottle rear 2 of our new kids, we are really struggling to get them to take to the bottle, we are day 3 now and I need to pry their mouths open to get them to take anything and they don't suckle it, they occasionally swallow but only what dribbles into their mouth, is this normal? Will they take better to it? They are now about 6 days old and it's a battle to get 50-60mls into them :-/

·
Registered
13 Posts
bottle feeding

no this is not normal they should be taking to it better by now. Try moving the bottle back and forth in their mouth, and also have them kind of lay across your legs ! They really should have taken to it a lot sooner. What kind of milk are you giving them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Profalac milk replacer is what the local breeder uses and suggested we use, is it too late to give them back to mum/s I was never an advocate of the bottle rearing, and I would suggest to give them back in a heartbeat if they will accept them :-(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the little guys has started drinking much better and taking 100mls or more now Levi our other still not drinking great , mum doesn't want him, we held her still while he suckled last night and had a good feed, hopefully he picks up over the next 24hrs :-(

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
try this trick...

put honey on your finger and place it in his mouth on th back of his tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex...once he suck it real well..do it a few times...have a nice warm bottle ready with honey on the nipple...once he is going to town on your finger slip the nipple in..he will taste the honey first then hopefully suckle well and drink his bottle..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts