Bottle feeding duration

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NDinKY, Sep 7, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    How long should you bottle feed a kid for to optimize growth/mimic natural weaning?

We’re keeping one of my quintuplets. Even though she’s been with her dam the whole time, I’ve never actually seen her nurse, so we’ve bottle fed her the whole time. I trained all of them on the bottle as there is no way their dam could support 5 kids. She’s almost 3 months old now and I’ve cut her down to twice a day. I was planning on cutting her down to 1 bottle next week, but wasn’t sure how long to continue that one bottle. For my keeper doelings, I don’t separate them from their dams so I have some April kids who still nurse. Should I get rid of the bottles after she hits 4 months or keep offering for longer?

MadHouse and Kass like this.
  2. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Everyone does it differently.... I'm not very experienced so I dont have a good answer for you, sorry
    I got a 6 week old (that right there showed my lack of knowledge at that time.) That wasn't old enough to be away from mom. I put her on the bottle (cows milk ) until she hit 10 weeks.
    Hopefully others will answer

MadHouse and NDinKY like this.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    2 months old is the minimum age to pull. (And too young in my opinion, but life sometimes throws curve balls and kids get weaned at that age). When they are eating and drinking and chewing cud around 3-4 months old. Too young and you risk stunting the growth. If she looks good and eats well, back off the bottle.
    Maybe a bottle in the morning and back off the afternoon one, or the other way around. But, watch to make sure she is drinking water.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like at least 12 weeks. Wouldn't do less than 8 weeks.

goatblessings, MadHouse and NDinKY like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    3 months is always a good number.
    Unless the kid isn't thriving and not eating hay, grass and creep feed well, then it should be a bit longer.

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks everyone! She’s doing really well, I’ll probably stop at 4 months then. She eats hay and grain very well, and is kinda chunky.

Here is my little bottle baby:
    CB39591E-8084-4B22-A908-1D3CFDF6BEC4.jpeg

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my goodness, she is cute. :inlove:

8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks! And she’s a sweetie too. Loves me for the bottle, lol.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Sooo adorable! I think I need an all white goat to go with my all black one.:ponder:

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you don't want her, send her North! She is a cutie. I'm a sucker for white goats! :nod:

11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    She’s super sweet, and she’s not the best kid we had conformationally this year but she’s a keeper! We also have a jet black doeling we’ve retained from this years kidding. Should have called them Ying and Yang.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.