Bottle Feeding Questions.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a baby that was born last Wednesday - It was a hard birth and she is a bottle baby. Here are the issues that I am facing. Any suggestions would be great.

Will not open her mouth for the bottle at all - will mouth other things looking for a nipple.

Doen't seem to poo very often. - poos are normal - but how often should she be pooing?

She is on goats milk and had goat colostrum - how much should she be eating and how often? She is a TINY pygmy / Nigerian. Maybe 2 pounds. She is only wanting to eat every 3 - 4 hours and 2 ounces at a time. Is that enough?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hey Allison,
    I'm wondering...maybe from the hard birth as you said her head was only sticking out and she wasn't doing so great when she came out. Maybe she has brain damage?? :shrug: That seems very likely as bottle babies should be taking to the bottle after a day or two. She doesn't seem to be showing signs of even knowing what to do. Are you holding her when you feed her? If you are, set her down instead, rub her rear end, if she's mouthing for things, just hold the bottle above where she's mouthing, hopefully she will cling on and figure it out.
    As for poo, I believe they don't poo much at all the first week, but I could be wrong. I'm curious to know how often they should poo also!
    Good luck!!!

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Have you tried brushing her cheek or putting your hand under her jaw? I've found that often stimulates the kid to want to nurse. See if putting milk on your finger will encourage her to nurse.

Yes nursing that much for the first few days is definitely ok. I would let her start to eat as much as she wants and gradually reduce the feedings. She'll start to want to eat more at each feeding.

Good luck!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well at her age she doesn't need mroe then 2 ounces at a time so that part sounds good.

the bottle part could jsut be her not realizing things. as I told you on IM Presto figured out quickly that the sound of the microwave ment food but didnt always recognize the bottle as food. :shrug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all.

She will "latch" on to a finger, pants, toes, anything BUT the bottle - LOL! I usually hold her and my hand is under her chin, but I will try putting her on the floor and see if that helps.

6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    What you are describineg seems completely normal to me. 2 oz is perfect but I would allow her to have more if she wants it. Poo is very limited execially for the first week. All of the milk is going to nurishment, not as poo.

As to the having to open her mouth, some of my kids just dont catch on as quickly. If you keep opening her mouth for her, she won't know that she can do it herself. Does that make sense? Its like a spoiled child, if you keep picking up their toys for them, they will never do it themselves because they know you will do it. Their moms never open their mouths for them. They either latch on and eat or die.

I would suggest spending a little bit mroe time when you feed to get her to latch on herself. Try putting one hand over her eyes to simulate mom's body and have someone tickle her rear end. If she still wont latch on herself, wait an extra hour. She will eventually get the hint that you are not going to do it for her. Every 3-4 hrs is PERFECT! But it isnt going to cause her any problems to wait an extra hour or so. I would DEFINANTLY not go more than 6 hours without feeding her. If it gets to the 6 hr mark, you may just have a kid thats just a bit "slower" than the others as getting it together.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    my husband swears that she is "developmentally delayed". LOL! Yet this is the only thing that is not "normal" per say.

I will try what you are suggesting and let you know.

Allison

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my take on it is that if she needs more time to learn to open her mouth that isnt so bad. Things could be worse for her. Why put her through stress when she isnt ready to take the leap herself jsut yet. Now if she was 4 weeks and still being this way I would think differently but this kid is less then a week old. Give her time. I know it probably seems like you have had her now for forever but baby steps is how she will progress. Once she gets beyond what is keeping her behind that little thing will spirt up and be bigger then you ever expected!

Kitten is bigger then her sister already! Very fat and Sassy and KNOWS what she wants.

9. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I would say she's fine, some are just alittle slower learning then others! I had a pygmy kid last year that was abit slow on learning to take the nipple, he'd push into me and pass right by the bottle, I'd have to put my hand on his chest to hold him back and slip the nipple into his mouth, even then he'd sometimes lose it because he was still trying to push into it! Anyway his birth was nice and easy and he was completely healthy, took him over a week to finally be able to get the get the nipple without so much help, and he still needed it now and then for the first 2 weeks!

As for the rest I've found they eat different amounts, some do fine on smaller amounts and I think 2 oz is probably about right for her, and 3-4 hours is perfect, and they poop very little when all they are getting is milk! I saw the videos, if she's not acting sick I'd say she's fine!