The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 month old boer doe is showing signs of bottle jaw, although it isn't that bad I am worried (I already lost 1 of bottle jaw). This doe is my favorite, I love her!

She has been wormed with Ivomec plus, (3 times every 10 days then one in 30 days) She has had the first three, the 4rth is due on the 21st of this month. I gave 1cc per 25pounds, orally.

She is eating 1 pound of feed a day. Free choice hay, and graze. She has a rough coat, and is extremely pale-still.

I gave her B12 and red cell today.

My question is should I worm her now or wait till the 21st?? I really don't want wanna lose her!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time I have used Ivomec.. first time it has been used on them, or on any animals on my land. I will try and get a fecal done

·
Registered
401 Posts
I finally just got over bottle jaw with my favorite little buck after fighting it for 5 weeks. I know how you feel. :( I was giving him red cell, b 12, high protein feed and tried worming with lots of different things. Then i decided to give him valbazen 3 days in a row and in about 5 days it was mostly gone. Then 5 days after that i wormed him with cydectin and he was better by the next day. :) I have no idea what it was that actually worked but hes better now and happy as can be. :D

I've never used ivermectin plus, locals were telling me it didnt work here, but it might work there. I waited about 10 days between wormings but im no expert. Happybleats worked me through dealing with it so maybe she will chime in. Good luck, i hated dealing with it and having to dose him up with meds every day (he hated it too), but it was worth it. :)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is small, I will take a pic in the morning.. I might be over reacting.. I don't know.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also poops are 100% normal

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
tried worming with lots of different things. Then i decided to give him valbazen 3 days in a row and in about 5 days it was mostly gone. Then 5 days after that i wormed him with cydectin and he was better by the next day
Im glad your goat is over bottle jaw but Its not good to over worm a goat.,,,its best to allow the wormer to do its job...with bottle jaw.. ivomec plus or valbazen are good choices as they both get liver fluke which also causes bottle jaw...worm and wait 10 days then worm again, 3 times 10 days apart as Kramsay did...so not to over to over tax the system...with bottle jaw what you are treating is the anemia...
Once you worm...give it time to work, in the mean time you need to treat the anemia
red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then daily for a week then weekly until color returns
B 12, high protien feed alfalfa and green leaves all help her re build her red blood cells...
it can take a long while for a goat to fully recover from anemia...best wishes

·
Registered
30,547 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She developed this in the past 2 days (hubby has been feeding the past 2 days and he didn't tell me, or notice I am not for sure which.)

She was already started on the worming program... When I first started the worming program I done the red cell and b12 for a week.

She is eating 1/2 pound of calf mana, 1/8 pound of sweet feed, 1/4 meat goat grower (18%), 1/8 alfafa pellets. Also alfalfa/orchard grass hay.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
How are her eye lids? does the lump feel hard ot soft?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
her eye lids aren't as pale as her gums but still pale, and I believe it is soft but I will have to check in the morning.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts

·
Registered
30,547 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say it is a 4. I have injectable iron that I want to give but can't find a dosage anywhere?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Its the same...there is no real dose for goats...some use 1-2 cc per 100 # most dose at 4 cc per 100#, you can do 4 cc day one then 2 cc following treatments if you are more comfortable, its recommended to treat for 2 days with injectable then weekly after that until you see good eye color.....over dosing iron at this point is not a worry since she is a 4 on the chart, she will be rebuilding those red blood cells.......ALWAYS keep a large dose of Benadryl or a epi pen handy when giving iron injected..not all but some goat do react to it...have it ready to give incase your doe reacts..

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much!

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She seems to be getting slightly worse, what I mean is the spot is getting bigger.. It isn't squishy but it's not hard either. I gave her more alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay along with her b-12, iron injectable, and red cell.

I am thinking I should worm her again ? Isn't there an "at home" way to test for liver fluke worms ?

She was still grazing, and ran to the feed as soon as I poured it. Would a picture help ?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Yes a picture would help...you wormed her 3 times 10 days apart with Ivomec plus? correct? If so liver fluke shouldn ot be an issue ...barpole worm shouldnot be an issue either..since Ivo. Plus kills both worms...a fecal is the only sure way to know..
iodine def. can cause a goiter...which is a swelling on the under part of the chin near the neck..if she doesnt have a good loose mineral, she may be dealing with that...seeif you can post a picture so we can see what you see...
Is she eating drinking pooping and peeing fine other wise?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts