Bottle Jaw and miracle help to share.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by wndngrvr, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Wanted to share my story on bottle jaw. I do my own fecals and worm seldom, only as needed, because I have so many concerns about resistance. Last month I had a big problem. My katahdin ewe came up with bottle jaw, I think compromised with ketosis, couple of weeks from lambing. I did all the things I thought needed and finally called the vet, he took a sample for a fecal and came up with the egg count of 4850. Highest his tech had ever seen. I tried several wormers and could only get the count down to about 500. I am usually seeing very low counts. A couple of eggs on a slide, highest I have seen on my samples from any of my animals was 50.
    Long story short - finally tried Lavamed (levamisole hydrochloride) and one dose of 1 1/2 oz I got a negative slide.
    I had been told that this product was pulled from the market years ago because of resistance (was off for about 15 years) but seemed to working well again. I will be keeping this as a go to product if I have a problem.
    The dose on the bag is for sheep and for cattle -I do not have the proper dose for goats as yet but will call the man who gave me the information on it next week and see if he knows. Info says overdosing can cause death so am concerned to find proper dosage.
    My ewe is doing very well now so hopefully will fully recover. Probably barber pole worm takeover after she got so run down. She did lamb with healthy triplets and is eating me out of house and home. Big pan of chaffhaye with handful of kelp twice a day , orchard grass and then let out to go to pasture. She was too weak to go out for several weeks.
    If you have used this on goats and know the dosage please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Congrats on the successful . treatment and cute babies

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  4. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    p.s. the lambs are gorgeous!

5. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Glad you had success with the treatment

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad all went well.

They are really cute. :)

7. brigadoonfarmgal

brigadoonfarmgal New Member

Jul 14, 2016
    We meet again ;) Can you tell me where you got the dosage rate for goats from and if they have a reconstitution rate for the "powdered Prohibit" for goats vs the labeled cattle sheep reconstitution. I saw one review that said to ensure you reconstitute the powder at the goat dosage but there was no further info on what that was. Thank you so much! I am also going to post a thread for help in case this thread is outdated.

8. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The hyperlink posted in my response above brings you to a document which shows the goat dosage and there is a note at the bottom of the sheet that speaks to the powder reconstitution.

9. brigadoonfarmgal

Jul 14, 2016
    Thank you very much. I see you have a notice that it is "outdated" Would you say that it's content in your opinion are antiquated or would I be safe relying upon the information given?

Edit

I just took a good look at the chart and it is awesome! I am so hoping that the current dosage/reconstitution is the same for goats! I appreciate your help!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  10. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  11. brigadoonfarmgal

Jul 14, 2016
  12. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Used to use prohibit back in the day, mixed it with juice or snow cone syrup for better taste. 17.5oz juice, water or syrup to 1 packet of prohibit. Drench at 2cc per 50lbs.