bottle jaw: PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Help please:

Okay after treating my Abbye 2 yr old-never kidded (Nubian,Alpine, Sosanna cross) about 75 lbs,

with de-wormer twice she is still not doing well.. and after looking up info today I think she may have bottle jaw we have been giving her red cell for anemia but she is still not responding well one day she looks better more perky but the next she is not happy again.. and she is not eating as much as normal and her face is a little swallow some days you see it more then others.

How do I treat this: my vet is not that great when it come to goats and he charges way to much- I am in the process of trying to find another one close to me but till then

I know that the knowledge and how to is out there I just need the right person to tell me what to do...

Donna and Abbye thank you in advance..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    treat 1cc per 20lbs using injectable ivermectin given orally

treat again in 7 days.

Keep up the redcell about 10cc a day

3. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    mine with bottle jaw last year didnt show signifcant improvement until afer the third worming.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Once they have it, it takes a little time to get rid of it. Once they are better I would suggest giving garlic in the feed or pure juice once a month. The people up the road battle this at least once a year yet mine have never had it. I give mine 2cc oraly for goats and 1 cc for my sheep. It also helps with external pests. (lice mites and flies)

Good luck
    Gina

5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Might want to try a different wormer. We worm ours with ivomec but there is one that if we use it and not cydectin she will get bottlejaw(ivomec just doesn't work for her). We usually give redcell and vit B shots for several days.

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you I new you guys would know what to do...

I will try the ivem.. and keep up the red cell and start her on Vit b shots

Thank you
    Donna

7. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    how much vit b?

thank you
    Donna

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My notes say for polio give 4.5 cc per 100lbs. every 6 hours. I don't think you need to do it that often. Wait for a little while and see if someone else has the dosage for this.

Gina

9. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We usually gave her 3-6cc a day for 5 days.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    5cc per 100# SQ or IM once a day....you can safely give her the 5cc even at 75# due to the fact that she'll pee out the excess. Don't be alarmed if when she does go it's orange, totally normal.

11. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    thank you all so much!

Donna

12. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    Here in central Texas, we've been having trouble with Ivomec and cydectin. Apparently worms have developed some immunity, so they are recommending using Safeguard or even some of the old wormers (the green stuff I forget what it's called.)