The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Famacha on new bucklings was terrible so treated for deworming with ivomec and safeguard day one, then two days of safeguard. Banded the buckling on Saturday , then started the second 7-10 day dose Saturday... Today is the last day and he has terrible bottle jaw. This is my first rodeo with such a hard worming.... Heading out with b complex. What else can I do? He was copper bolused yesterday .

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Famacha on new bucklings was terrible so treated for deworming with ivomec and safeguard day one, then two days of safeguard. Banded the buckling on Saturday , then started the second 7-10 day dose Saturday... Today is the last day and he has terrible bottle jaw. This is my first rodeo with such a hard worming.... Heading out with b complex. What else can I do? He was copper bolused yesterday .
Red cell

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Increase protein intake, give injectable iron.

Bottle jaw can indeed get worse before it gets better with deworming because of holes in digestive system left by dying worms releasing additional fluid. But it's impossible to tell if the bottle jaw gets worse because of dying worms or higher worm loads. Try getting a fecal analysis 10-14 days after the last deworming to ensure it worked.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone ! Ugh I had everything under control and with the Torrential rain last week... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it all went to poo.

Got a hold of my vet, she recommended increasing feed slowly , red cell and also probiotics.

Have not had a second to do a fecal yet, I dewormed him over a week ago on the three day regimen when I realized him and his pen mates Famacha was so poor. I'm positive it's barber pole with how bad it was (a one)

How long until bottle jaw generally tends to improve , any idea guys ?

What a night ! Tape worms in one , bottle jaw in another .... After four hours dosing revamping and doing fecals on the adult girls I'm pooped.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks everyone ! Ugh I had everything under control and with the Torrential rain last week... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it all went to poo.

Got a hold of my vet, she recommended increasing feed slowly , red cell and also probiotics.

Have not had a second to do a fecal yet, I dewormed him over a week ago on the three day regimen when I realized him and his pen mates Famacha was so poor. I'm positive it's barber pole with how bad it was (a one)

How long until bottle jaw generally tends to improve , any idea guys ?

What a night ! Tape worms in one , bottle jaw in another .... After four hours dosing revamping and doing fecals on the adult girls I'm pooped.
Ok idk what it is but we also just had a case of bottle jaw after deworming she went down 2 days after no idea she even had it cause she was perfectly fine the day before but she couldn't even walk by herself when we got to here and that all happened right before we were going to pick up our new girls so immediately she got taken inside the pen was use for sick goats, treatment 2x a day B12, Red cell and vinegar water as she was extremely anemic she was the color white and now 3 days later the bottle jaw is going away and she can walk by herself and is doing so much better

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Bottle jaw can indeed get worse before it gets better with deworming because of holes in digestive system left by dying worms releasing additional fluid. But it's impossible to tell if the bottle jaw gets worse because of dying worms or higher worm loads. Try getting a fecal analysis 10-14 days after the last deworming to ensure it worked.
Saltey do you
Ok idk what it is but we also just had a case of bottle jaw after deworming she went down 2 days after no idea she even had it cause she was perfectly fine the day before but she couldn't even walk by herself when we got to here and that all happened right before we were going to pick up our new girls so immediately she got taken inside the pen was use for sick goats, treatment 2x a day B12, Red cell and vinegar water as she was extremely anemic she was the color white and now 3 days later the bottle jaw is going away and she can walk by herself and is doing so much better
So sorry to hear that.... I'm having a really hard time this year also, mostly I think because it's my first time dealing with my own goat kids and deworming. It's hard to get the right system down! What was her FAMACHA? I'm concerned because his is a solid 5, paper white, even after the completion of the second deworming. My vet recommended the same supplimentation you did as above, and to hold off on another deoworming for 7 days or so.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh also - How long did it take for her FAMACHA to turn around?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks Saltey. What's your favorite feed protein source? Right now the boys are getting 50% corn and barley mix, and 50% sweet feed... about a cup twice a day per goat, topped with ammonium chloride.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Thanks Saltey. What's your favorite feed protein source? Right now the boys are getting 50% corn and barley mix, and 50% sweet feed... about a cup twice a day per goat, topped with ammonium chloride.
Protein is essential for making blood cells again after anemia. What is the protein percentage of the Sweet Feed?

This year I'm using Blue Seal Home Fresh Grow & Finish free choice for my kids and very happy with it. We have a creep feeder so only kids but not adult goats can fit in.

Your corn & barley additions are reducing the overall protein of your feed mixture. Higher protein ingredients include alfalfa & soy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Protein is essential for making blood cells again after anemia. What is the protein percentage of the Sweet Feed?

This year I'm using Blue Seal Home Fresh Grow & Finish free choice for my kids and very happy with it. We have a creep feeder so only kids but not adult goats can fit in.

Your corn & barley additions are reducing the overall protein of your feed mixture. Higher protein ingredients include alfalfa & soy.
Its a 16% protein sweet feed mix.

That feed looks pretty great! Have you noticed a big difference using a medicated feed for coccidia?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Bottle haw is a reaction to anemia. It can take time to recover from. Address the anemia and you address the bottle jaw. Bottle jaw can come and go so don't be suprised. Don't be tempted to over deworm. ..
Along with iron supplement and high protien feed..give 20-30 cc of 50/50 acv and water once daily to help speed recovery also i would give tummy tamer a few times a day along with fresh garlic.

Tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
Acv
Molasses
Mix with enough water to drench..can blend with a fresh garlic clove

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Its a 16% protein sweet feed mix.

That feed looks pretty great! Have you noticed a big difference using a medicated feed for coccidia?
It's a great option if you have Blue Seal dealers near you. We pay $15.50 per 50 pound bags, delivered. I use it as a true creep feed, that is, it's available free choice (as much as they want, in a spot that adult goats can't get) from 2 weeks of age through about 5 months of age when they switch to a once a day feeding. I DO think the coccidiastat improves growth in my kids. However, because I have 20-30 kids on the ground each spring, I know my coccidia risk is high and I don't solely depend on the grower pellet. They also get Toltrazuril at 2-4 weeks of age.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a great option if you have Blue Seal dealers near you. We pay $15.50 per 50 pound bags, delivered. I use it as a true creep feed, that is, it's available free choice (as much as they want, in a spot that adult goats can't get) from 2 weeks of age through about 5 months of age when they switch to a once a day feeding. I DO think the coccidiastat improves growth in my kids. However, because I have 20-30 kids on the ground each spring, I know my coccidia risk is high and I don't solely depend on the grower pellet. They also get Toltrazuril at 2-4 weeks of age.
WOW! That's a ton of kids! You are an incredibly busy lady. Do you rotational graze or keep them on a dry lot? What's your setup?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
WOW! That's a ton of kids! You are an incredibly busy lady. Do you rotational graze or keep them on a dry lot? What's your setup?
I would say I lazily rotationally graze, but have many acres at my dispense. I don't do the intense rotational systems that I read work so well with goats with moving them every few days. The downfall is that my goat kids are not tame, they spend 23.5 hours a day without a human in sight. This is a major goal of mine to socialize them better!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Dang you got Toltrazuril right now!?!?! Ugh. I been tryin for months to find it anywhere so my vet can send in a script and they have even looked at their suppliers for me some.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts