Bottle jaw question

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by gwith, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:37 PM.

1. gwith

gwith Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    One of my boys does has bottle jaw. She is a older boer. She had a kid. Everything went great. We wormed her the day after delivery. Everything was great and on the 10th day after delivery we were going to worm her again and she had bottle jaw. We wormed her with ivomec injection on day 10 after delivery. We have followed up with b complex, la200, red cells, probiotics, good feed, and alfalfa.

We haven't had bottle jaw in years, but this is a lot worse than I remember.

Is there anything else I should do or just keep it up?

2. TooManyBoers

TooManyBoers Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    UK
    Hard to say. Is it still there or is it shrinking? Other than giving another wormer—which isn’t ideal until she’s had a worm count done—I’d say you’re doing the right thing. If you wanted you could always look into natural dewormers?

3. gwith

gwith Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    It gets smaller during the night, which is normal. It has become larger during the week. It may be because I gave her an injection and it is still killing off worms.

4. TooManyBoers

Oct 19, 2017
    UK
    Possibly, though I was always told they acted over 24 hours? Maybe I’m wrong ;)

5. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I could very well be wrong, I have no experience with it and just know what I have read, but I thought with the injection it kills them much slower? That way, with the injection they don't all release at once, causing the goat to bleed out.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. TooManyBoers

Oct 19, 2017
    UK
    Oh, never knew that. It could well be true.

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    With her getting it right after working her I would say she probably had a large worm load and that’s what’s causing it. I once had a doe get bottle jaw out of the blue, couldn’t figure it out her fecal was fine. So I shoved a copper bolus down her and she started to slowly get over it. If she is showing any signs of needing copper might not hurt to give her some, if not then keep up what your doing. With her having kids on her and the bottle jaw I would just make sure she is getting some grain and some god grain decent in protein at that. Calf manna is high in protein so if you are giving grain and it’s not all that great I would add some calf manna in to up the protein without having to totally change her grain. Actually I probably would add the calf manna anyways. Keep in mind she is having to share everything she eats with her kids. But it seem to be on the right track on getting her back on her feet.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

Yes, giving Ivomec SQ, kills worms much slower, preventing bleed out from too many worms letting go at once. ;)
    It is best to give Ivomec that way for anemic goats. 1 cc per 40 lbs SQ.

If a goat is not anemic and looks OK in famancha coloring, giving Ivomec orally can be done 1 cc per 33 lbs.

Be sure to give the wormer again, 10 days later 3 x, 10 days apart to kill hatching eggs.

Getting fecal to see where she is at, about 10 days from her last worming.
    Will let you know if the wormer is working or not. Takes the guess work out.

9. gwith

gwith Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    We copper bolused her around Christmas

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Every place and goat is different. Even with my high dose of copper I give by 4 months mine need another one. So just look at signs of needing copper not necessarily when she last had one. I once had a doe if I was a day over 3 months on the copper she would start looking rough, but pretty much as a herd mine need it every 4 months ;)

11. gwith

gwith Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    Ok
    She looks a little better tonight, but still bad.

toth boer goats likes this.