The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew very little of bottle jaw until a few day ago. I have had a 6 month old kid come down with bottle jaw. I don't know how long she had it before i caught it because the week before I had been heavily involved at my county fair having taken 7 projects and keeping 9 goats up at the fair grounds. When I got back I noticed that my bottle baby had huge swelling around her jaw and throat. my first thought was an allergic reaction to a sting or a poisonous plan, but after researching the internet I found it to be bottle jaw. I wormed my entire herd two days ago and began to give the kid a children multivitamin in the evening. The rest of the herd including my other bottle babies appears healthy and normal, but this doe is still acting dull and uninterested in anything. She isn't walking a lot and isn't going out to pasture. She is still eating and drinking, but not with enthusiasm. I have never encountered bottle jaw before and don't really know what to do. Any one have any experience or anything I can give her?

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
check her lower inner eye lids..if they are pale or white she is anemic which is common with bottle jaw...

Red Cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then regular dose for a week..then once a week until her eyes turn a deeper pink to red
Vit B 12 helps this along
high protein feed, alfalfa and green leaves help her rebuild her red blood cells..

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning I went outside and the doe is looking worse. I decided to give her an antibiotic as well as probiotic(which I have already been doing). I didn't get the Red Cell, but i will start to give her leaves and good feed. She is having trouble eating and drinking. like she must have her neck at a certain angle for her to eat or drink and even then she usually startes coughing. She also has terrible diarea and can't seem to go to the bathroom no matter how hard she tries. I am really lost here. what is going on?

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Bottle jaw is caused by either bar pole worm or liver fluke . Ivomec plus or for her I might choose valbazen is a good wormer choice. With a heavy load to cause bottle jaw I would treat 3 times ten days apart the once more in 30 days. For anemia if you don't treat her she can die. Red cell or iron injections are needed along with Vit. B 12 with the runs she needs cd antitoxin . I would also give pepto to help sooth her tummy and dry her runs. She needs to be well hydrated .

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
You could also have coccidia going on too. Can you take the goat to the vet? It sounds like she could use someone physically looking at her.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also have coccidia going on too. Can you take the goat to the vet? It sounds like she could use someone physically looking at her.
well my dad doesn't like going to the vet because none of the vets around here know a lot about goats and we know more than them. We will see what happens today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts