The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girls have bottle jaw. My own stupid fault for going off-schedule after they kidded.

It's very early stages, wasn't there this morning. They're anemic re: gum color.
I just gave Ivomec Plus at 1cc/30lb and a nice dose of probiotics.
Hubs is coming home soon with the pig-labeled iron (dextran), Safeguard, and Power Punch.

Can I use Safeguard and Ivomec at the same time? I'm not sure if our area has an Ivo resistance or not. I've never dealt with worm problems in the 4 years I've had goats.

How much iron? Safeguard? They're full sized Nubians.

What else can I do? I'm about to go out and give them B complex. I have Tylan and LA-200 but I don't think I need to give them any. Benedryl for the swelling? Anything else?

Thanks!
I know this is all in the forums somewhere and have been searching around but having someone chime in specifically would be awesome.

·
I'm watching you
22,525 Posts
In this case no. The Ivomec plus already has a white wormer in it. Better to wait a couple days between.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Additional question on bottle jaw

I wormed my goats yesterday. This morning one of my does has a large swelling under her jaw. It extends from the front to the back of the underside of her jaw. Looks like bottle jaw, appears full of fluid. Would the wormer cause bottle jaw? What else could it be?

Also, I had the same thing happen with a wether about 3 months ago when I wormed him. The swelling went away after a week, but left an abscess in it's place. Does this make any since to anyone?

·
Super Moderator
59,636 Posts
I wormed my goats yesterday. This morning one of my does has a large swelling under her jaw. It extends from the front to the back of the underside of her jaw. Looks like bottle jaw, appears full of fluid. Would the wormer cause bottle jaw? What else could it be?

Also, I had the same thing happen with a wether about 3 months ago when I wormed him. The swelling went away after a week, but left an abscess in it's place. Does this make any since to anyone?
Did they have a bad worm load?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Pretty high, maybe slightly anemic, but not as bad as I expect with bottle jaw. Their energy levels and appetites were/are normal. Kind of confused. Really confused on the abscesses that developed on the wether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.