bottle jaw

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by beefy, Oct 10, 2009.

1. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    my boer doeling has got bottle jaw. i had wormed her with valbazen previously and she was eating goat feed that is medicated for coccidiosis. well when that bag ran out i got her something differently that she didnt like. she started developing a bottle jaw that didnt really respond to the valbazen. so i got her the medicated feed again and dewormed her with ivomec (gave it orally) and it started going down some. this was a week ago. looks like its trying to get bigger again now. should i deworm her again tho its only been a week or should i try treating her for coccidiosis or what? her stools are sort of clumpy and she sneezes some. i have some corid (amprolium) i could put in her water if thats ok to give goats. thoughts?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok Bottle Jaw is from the barber poll worm most of the time so you want to treat with a wormer that is effective in your area for barber poll worms.

The cocci medication isnt going to help the bottle jaw -- unless she has cocci I would NOT treat her this can only complicate things for her.

She may need a shot of iron to bring her levels back up so that she doesnt get a worm load again.

YES do worm her 7-10 days ofter your first worming as this will get the cycle of hatching eggs. you may even need to do a 3rd worming.

Make sure your dosing is accurate -- do not underdose as this can be worse. Are you using a horse paste or the injectable?

3. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    the last time i used ivomec injectable before that i was using valbazen.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for the Ivermectin what is the dosage you used and did you give it as an injection or orally?

5. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    i gave it orally, i gave her 2ccs. i'm guessing shes around 60-70lbs. no more. like i say she improved a lot right after that but i wasnt sure if it was from the wormer or the medicated feed.
    was planning on doing it again 2 weeks later.

6. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Reworm her 10 days after the original worming. I agree about getting her some b or redcell. We have one doe that gets bottlejaw and we use cydectin on her. The ivomec doesn't work on her but it does all others.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Sounds like you underdosed her. YOu need to dose 1cc per 20lbs so for your girl she should get 3 1/2-4ccs orally.

She showed improvement because the wormer was "trying to work" but there wasnt enough to actually rid her body of all the worms.