The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little bucks jaw started to get puffy yesterday and today it was worse. I wormed with valbazen yesterday and im going to start giving him red cell and make him the magic recipe stuff. Is there anything else i can do? Isn't it bar pole worms that causes it? Does valbazen cover that?

·
1,384 Posts
Valbazen does not always work real well for barberpole worms. What dosage did you give him for his weight.
You may want to give him another dose today, or go with a stronger wormer.
Valbazen can be used for 3 days in a row. But there are stronger choices. cydectin being one of them.

B-complex injectable is also good for building red blood cells.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last goat that had bottle jaw was a few weeks ago, it cleared right up and was gone the next day after i used cydectin on her.

But his eyes started turning pale a week ago so i wormed with cydectin and it didnt help much for him. Then yesterday i went and got some valbazen because i though it might be stronger. If i gave him valbazen yesterday would it be ok to try cydectin on him today or should i wait?

On the cydectin i gave 1cc per 22 lbs, and on valbazen i gave 1 cc per 25 lbs. I dont have a real way to measure his weight so its an estimate.

·
1,384 Posts
you can do cydectin today, but sometimes if they are bad enough it will take time for them to build red blood cells. Also reworm the worse ones in 2 weeks to help break the cycle.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Valbazen is a good choice because it also gets liver fluke which also can cause bottle jaw where cydectin does not..use Valbazen at the rate of 1 cc per 10# 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..be sure to do a complete program to get all stages of the worms...

for anemia
red cell and Vit B 12
high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves all help him rebuild his Red BLood cells..

·
1,384 Posts
Liver flukes are very regional, if you do not live in the south, you don't have much chance of getting them, unless you purchases livestock from the south. Valbazen is an okay wormer, we have for sure used it. but for hard to death with barberpole worms you probably will need to go with cydectin. but valbazen or ivermectin plus, I would prefer ivermectin plus, are good choices if you have a chance of dealing with liver flukes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in south georgia.... Im just going to stick with valbazen. He hasn't lost any weight but he definitely has bottle jaw :(

The last post i had about red cell someone told me to give 6 cc per 100#, double it the first dose if they are really bad, give daily for a week, then once a week until their eyes are red. (This is just what i remembered correct me if im wrong about something). He's 6 months old and 80-100# so i gave him 10cc today and im going to give him 5 tomorrow. Should i give him a little more than 5 until the bottle jaw goes away? Should i let him graze or should i put him in a dry lot and give him grain (he won't even touch the hay)?
I was glad he was eating normal he ate all his feed today and grazed non-stop like usual and i wasent sure if i should take him out of the field incase he might start loosing weight. I dont know what to do, any suggestions?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does liver fluke cause bottle jaw? Or just bar pole worms? So cydectin is good for bar pole and valbazen for liver fluke?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
You did right..double the first day..reg. dose after that for a week then once a week.
Valbazen does both liver fluke and barpole..Cydectin does not get liver fluke....Liver fluke can cause bottle jaw as well..a fecal would tell you what you are dealing with but if you cant have one done then treating for both Barpole and Liver fluke is wise imo...
as stated Ivomec Plus is another good wormer which get both barpole and liverfluke..

I would let him graze...eat normal...:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, ill leave him how he is he seems pretty happy with himself except for the fact his face looks like a chipmunk. He's starting to be a handful to catch he usually runs up to me, now he stops and checks if i have food and if not runs off i think hes tired of me shoving meds. down his throat and checking on him all the time haha. If anything changes for better or worse ill be sure to ask yall first yall seem to be the best people to help me out. Thank you :D

·
1,384 Posts
Anything that can affect the liver function can cause anemia, as well as blood sucking parasites. Liver flukes obviously would cause liver problems. Barbepole worm eggs look like liver fluke eggs so they are sometimes missed when diagnosing. Copper poisoning, and some poisonous plants can also cause liver problems and then cause anemia and bottle jaw.
I would say you are best to go with valbazen or ivermectin plus every 10 days for 3 treatments. my understanding is that ivermectin plus works a lot better on Liver Flukes than Valbazen, but would not work as well if it were barberpole worms. We did our entire herd for liverflukes this winter, and did ivermectin plus as an injection under the skin every 10 days. even though we are in VA, our vet agreed that we may have had a problem with the little buggers, even though at first he didn't think our animals came from far enough South to have had them. After the first treatment of ivermectin plus, one of our does that was giving us a lot of problems already, started scouring horribly and almost died the next day. The vet does believe this was a reaction to the kill off of the liver Flukes from our description to him.
my point, is you might want to do the valbazen or consider doing one and seeing how he does and if continues or he replaces try the ivermectin plus on your goats.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, if it dosent get better ill switch to ivermectin plus. His jaw isn't as swollen as yesterday but its still swollen. I think the valbazen coupled with the red cell is working alot, thank you for all of the help. :)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
dont be tempted to over worm...give the meds time to do its job...repeat in 10 days :D keep up with the anemia treatment

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! :) He's looking better and better his jaw is still a little swollen but instead of being big as a baseball its now only a little swollen, less than the size of a golf ball. He has definitely gained his weight back from the new feed he has been on. He was on just alfalfa pellets but i started to add a little high protein grain when he got sick now hes at about half and half and i can tell the difference. :) I'm thinking about leaving him on the new diet it seems to be helping him pack on the pounds, especially when winter comes in and he won't have pasture to graze. Now I've just got to get him to eat hay lol. :)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
good news....the edema can take a while wo complety stay gone..but as long as you see improvement there is no need to worry...: )

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It came back today. :'( I've been giving him red cell and his feed in the morning but i had to leave at 6 this morning and only had time to feed and water the horses chicks and chickens. I was going to just give it to him when i got home at 6 pm and didnt think it would matter as long as he got it. He acts fine but when i got home his jaw was all swelled up bad again. Does the red cell effect him that much? My other guess was since he eats feed in the morning he probably dosent graze as much because hes not as hungry and he probably rests more. But since he didnt have his feed on time he grazed more to make up for it and that made him swell up again?

That's just a guess though. Does that mean he is getting worse or does it come and go? Like i said he has gained all his weight back and he still acts like his normal high energy self. I've been giving him either 'goats prefer power punch' or goat probiotic paste every other day it just depends on what i grab first.

Another thought i had was treating him for cocci just incase. I hate having to guess but this vet is the only vet within an hour and his words were "its just a goat its not like its a horse or something, if something happens thats that, its just part of it". Grrrr, he drives me crazy and is absolutely no help. I've never delt with cocci, does it cause bottle jaw and anemia? What do you treat it with and where do you get the treatment? Would yall recommend treating it without knowing thats the problem or will it not bother him if he dosent have cocci but i treat him anyway? If all else fails ill find someone who will take me to another vet out of town, i can't wait till next year and i can get my license i won't have to worry about finding a ride.

I thought he was almost better and i came home to him like this, and i have to leave again early tomorrow so i have to count on my little sister (who loves to 'help' me with the goats) and my dad to actually do everything right. Im going to be worried to death tomorrow. Im sorry for writing so much but I'd rather self diagnose here than on google yall seem to know your facts. :) Thank you for helping yall are awesome.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
The bottle jaw is edema...its fluid that settles in the jaw ...So when he rest..the fluid seaps back down lessening the bottle jaw..after grazing through out the day it come back as the fluid seaps back...It can take a while for this to completely go away..It can be frustrating not to see a day or two then its back..as long as he continues to grow stronger dont worry...
Continue the red cell for a full week..the drop to once a week...keep it up until you see good color return..
Cocci can cause anemia if left untreated. but it does not cause bottle jaw ....You are treating correctly : ) it will get better...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you happybleats! You have helped me with so many different situations and hearing that from you calms me down alot. :) ill just keep up the same thing ive been doing and try to fight the urge to panic when it gets bad. Thanks again. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts