The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my 1 week 2 day old buck has bottle jaw noticed it yesterday I have RED CELL, what dosage do y'all recommend?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
wow..that is very young for bottle jaw..are you sure its not milk goiter??
red cell is 6 cc per 100# he will also have very pale to white inner lower eye lids...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He eats, runs, jumps, plays! Does not hurt if I rub it.....I am just now research this lump....PANIC MOMMMY (me) MAYBE LET Me check it milk goiter. Lord help me! Just love my kids!

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
sounds like he is a healthy boy...milk goiter also known and milk neck..is caused by good rich milk and plenty of it..it will go away when he weens..,if you find his lower inner eye lids are very pale to white then we will need to re think it..but Im sure he will be fine..bottle jaw is caused my barpole and liver fluke worms and a heavy load of them..so its unlikely its bottle jaw...Which is a good thing:D

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
I vote milk goiter but its hard to tell from the pic...how does his lids look??

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Yep..looks nice and pink....:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so I don't worry....means Moms milk is good, & he's a pig! Lol, naïf her milk is good and she has twins.....should I milk her? I did put out a protein pale for them.....the dams act like they are starving.....we have had little rain so I feed in the am and a little in the pm when I put everybody up for the night......should I do more?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
I put my babies away at night when they are 2 weeks old...milk mom in The AM then she can have babies the rest of the day...its a nice arrangement and once mom gets used to it ( a few days) she will hunt you down if you run late putting her baby up lol..I think they like the break. No need to worry there wont be milk for kiddos after you milk..mom will hold on to enough for them..:D
Some will milk and leave kids on mom the whole time..you get less milk, so depends on how much you need

As for feeding..what kind of feed are they getting besides the bucket? and hay?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They also have a mineral block in the pasture too! We cut limbs in the evening to throw into the pasture for them to eat, I have plenty of land they could free range on but I have a huge Azalea bush in my front yard that I wouldn't want them to get a hold of! Got to sweet talk the hubby into fencing either my yard off or something.....just need to work it out!

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Well from my experiance..the goats will always act starved lol.... If they have plenty of graze thats great ..if not Free choice Coastal will help then feel more satified., and not bored...goats love to eat...and the long stems are great for rumen function and balance..
I would trade the mineral block for loose mineral...its easier for them to eat with their soft tongues and less salt...Limbs are great...its easy to digest ...
Sounds like they have a happy home and good care taker : )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts