The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, got a Boer doe that has bottle jaw, I started yesterday giving her a daily dose of pinicillin, any other ideas of what I may could do to help solve this problem.My goat book says that it is a sign of parasites and to administer penicillin so I am, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's my understanding that bottle jaw is a sign of worms, I would suggest getting a fecal done to see just what you are dealing with and go from there. How are her eyelids, white, light pink, red? Someone with more experience will chime in soon.

·
14,615 Posts
Penicillin does not treat bottle jaw. You will need a wormer for that.
What kind do you have on hand? Then we can tell you if it will work.

·
I'm watching you
22,353 Posts
Bottle Jaw is caused by Anemia. She needs iron and B-12. You'll need to quickly figure out the cause of the Anemia and fix it. A fecal is a good place to start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used safeguard but will go in the morning and get whatever i need to get, I don't want to lose this doe ive not had a good year with my herd

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can get those as injectables from your local farm store, I think the iron is called red cell, I know TSC has it. Otherwise if you have an orschelns?

·
I'm watching you
22,353 Posts
From your feed store you can get Iron injectable and High Potency B complex. Make sure it is the complex with extra B-12. Or you can get Red Cell which is drenched and contains both.

For wormers, not knowing what she has, I would give her Valbazen at 1cc per 10lbs. This will reduce her worm load by about 2/3 and kill some Liver Fluke. I would give Benadryl about an hour before hand to reduce inflammation from dying parasites.
10 days later, I would give Ivermectin Plus Injectable orally at 1cc. per 33lbs. This will kill L4, L5, and encysted Barber Pole plus finish off the Liver Fluke. She should be pulled off of pasture and given only hay for 24 hours before treatment with Ivermectin.
10 days later, I would do the Ivermectin Plus again.

I recommend the use of a worming pen to keep her from shedding eggs and larvae in great numbers on your pasture. Picking another unthrifty animal to be treated at the same time would be good so that she has company.

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
I agree..only two worms that cause botle jaw...Barpole and Liver fluke, you need to treat for both..Ivomec plus and Valbazen are the only two that kill them both...As stated Valbazen 1 cc per 10# Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40# ifyou choose to inject. I lke injecting so it acts slower and reduces the chance of toxicity from dieling worms and blood out ( i dont use Ivomec on kids under 6 months old)...but if you do the Valbazen first as Goathiker suggested, it decrease the chances. Once you treat the reason for bottle jaw (worms) you need to treat her anemia...with Bottle jaw there is almost alwasy anemia
I would also give C D Antitoxin during the first few days, longer if she is runny

Red cell is 6 cc per 100#double day one then reg. dose daily for a week then once a week until color in lids are better
Vit B 12 to help rebuild red blood cells or B complex PLUS which has enough 12 in it.
High protien feeds, alfalfa and green leaves help support the rebuilding of red blood cells as well
mix 50/50 ACV with water and drench 20 cc daily
Keep the goat from too much stress as all that fluid is also around her heart and lungs..Dont chase her to medicate her..if she is wild or hard to handle, or if others beat on her...put her in a small pen until the bottle jaw has run its course...
Best wishes

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I am doctoring doe now correctly thanks for all the Good advice. I have her separated from the others and she has plenty of good hay to munch on. Thanks so much . I will update on her condition.

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Cydectin wont work again liver fluke or Barpole worm, both of which cause bottle jaw..you need Ivomec PLUS or Valbazen...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand that, I am going to go ahead and worm the rest of my herd with cydectin though, I have the sick doe separated and am treating her

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Ok..:D ...gotcha ....My thoughts are if the one has bottle jaw from barpole or liverfluke,,then all have been exposed to them as well..it might be better to treat all with th same wormer, just in case...

best wishes

·
I'm watching you
22,353 Posts
Pick the healthiest half of the animals and don't worm them yet. You always want to leave some weaker non-resistant worms to breed with the stronger ones that the chemicals don't kill. It's best to do half your herd, wait a month, then do the other half...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts