The Goat Spot Forum banner

Bottle jaw???

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 · (Edited)
Needing help! I just checked the girls and noticed that my sweet Stella has a swelling under her jaw. So a couple of Google searches later and I'm panicking about barber pole worms! I did the FAMACHA test and I think she's around a 3. I had fecals tested about a month ago and they were negative except for coccidia, which I treated.

Should I retest fecal or go ahead and treat for worms anyway instead of waiting for results?

What else could be causing it? It's a very soft swelling, kinda jiggly like its fluid filled. She's seems fine otherwise! Eating and active.

Update: I should note that she is a year old, so it's not from nursing.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I've already treated the coccidia based on a previous fecal done about a month ago. It was negative for everything except coccidia so I only treated for that (it was 2+). I guess I'm just surprised how she could have worms so bad now that its causing anemia in such a short amount of time!

I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on their FAMACHA scores going forward. Can't imagine needing to do monthly fecal checks...

What kind of deworming/testing schedule do y'all follow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.