Bottle kid down and I dont know why

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Jun 3, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    approx 1 week old male boer kid, on the bottle since day 2 and drinking well, one of twins. Had difficulty standing at birth and for the first 2-3 days, was given vitamin A, D & E by injection after which he appeared to be able to stand normally. For about 3 or 4 days he appeared normal, walked fine, no problem. This morning he is unable to stand, extremely painful in both front legs, I think the knees seema little swollen but then sometimes babies look knock kneed. I can never tell. The back legs just want to fold up under him into a sitting position. He's breathing heavily and grunting and crying in pain. I know the plumbing systems are working.

What are your thoughts?

I've given him both oxytetracycline and trimethoprimsulfa, plus glucose under the skin, plus milk every few hours

I'm going to go get him some vit A, D & E and maybe some selenium

I figure all that will cover infections (joint ill) and WMD ...

:sigh: I dont really think he's going to make it, he looks awful

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor baby... :( ..I'd get that selinum/Bo-se shot and vit E ...to the little one ....you have done right.. by giving everything that you have to him.... I will pray for him....poor guy...... :pray: :hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Almost sounds like white muscle disease for the legs. I agree with Pam, get some selenium in him.

Is he dehydrated at all? What is his temp? You mentioned the lumbing is working what about pooing? is the poo dried out? Is he on goat's milk or formula?

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    no dehydration.

have to admit I havent done the temp :oops:

pooing fine, reasonably normal for bottle kid

on replacer

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am wondering if with the pain it is because the replacer is to heavy on the tummy and the digestion. I have heard of this more then once.
    You can also try some Milk of Magnesium.

i have alot better luck when I have had to give something other then goats milk to uses 1 gallon whole milk (minus 2 cups) add 1 cup evaporated milk and 1 cup buttermilk.

Hop ehe gets better soon for you.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I honestly dont think the replacer could cause all this. I've always used this replacer with great success. Better than whole goats milk.

replacer wouldnt explain the problem with the legs, and besides he's been on it since day 2 (colostrum day 0 and 1)

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would try the selinium. And get a temp on him. I dont think it would be replacer causing pain in his legs. I would also try rubbing them to get the circulation going better. Does his legs feel cold or anything? Does he have foos feeling in them? when you pinch does he cry out? I have heard of replacer causing bloat but not this.
    beth

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    well he is still alive. and looking just a tiny teensy little bit improved. nothing to write home about though

I'm pretty settled on joint ill, although I thought he was a bit young for it. but I showed him to a few different people and they all thought the knees were swollen (I wasnt sure, I've been looking at him for so long lol)

I'm going to hit him hard with a/b and hope for the best

Prayers please guys, I really dont want to lose him :(

:pray:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    he's gone down a little bit now.

Also a bit loose in the poo now, but I did give him some cod liver oil so that might be causing the loose poo

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It wouldnt hurt to give hi some probios as well. His little system is taking in a lot of antibiotics.
    beth

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    some one just recently lost some babies that were fine one minute and down the next and they were on replacer also - can't remember the exact specifics - want to say it was togg kids - I will have to think about it for a minute - but that thread might help - maybe.

I sure hope this little guy pulls through for you

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray... that the baby pulls through ...I am so sorry ...he is having a tough time...... :pray: :hug:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh man, I cant believe he's still alive. He barely does anything, just lies there and groans.

Breathing is worse. I think we are dealing with Mycoplasma here, not just simple joint ill. Mycoplasma will cause lameness similar to joint ill, as well as respiratory problems. Mortality is 90% in cases this young.

He suckled last night but has since stopped so I am tubing him. Was up every 1.5 hrs last night to check him. At 2.30am he was really bad and I was so surprised to see him alive at 4am.

I've given the other two kids a/b as well; one looks like he might be in the beginning stages of it.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow..........that is terrible .. :( ..I am praying that he pulls through.....and the other kid doesn't get it......... :pray: :hug:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    he now has blood stained urine :?

So this is what I am doing:

- 1ml oxytetracycline every 12 hrs (desperate times call for desperate measures)
    - 1ml triprim every 24 hrs (I've never tried this one 12 hrly so not sure if its safe)
    - 5ml glucose s/q morning and night
    - 50ml milk every 2 hrs tubed into stomach - he seems to be digesting still, pooing and peeing normal (cept the urine is now bloody)
    - keeping him warm
    - changing his bedding when he soils/wets it

poor little guy, wish I could do something to make him feel better.

What would happen if I gave him painstop? (baby pain relief) lol

I honestly dont know how he's still alive. I've never seen one this sick hang on so long

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    he's gone

I knew it would happen but somehow that didnt make it any easier when he did finally give up

I've been bawling my eyes out since he went about half an hour ago.

I tubed the milk into him, he yelled and wriggled round a bit like he always does, then he struggled a bit for air, I felt his heart stop first then his breathing. I've never had one die in my arms before, its a humbling experience. And I was surprised at how much he wriggled and kicked after both his heart and breathing had stopped.

Oh bugger, now I'm crying again

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh Keren......I am so very sorry.....wish things could have turned out differently, but take comfort in that he is no longer suffering :hug: .

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    keren......... I am so very sorry .......you lost him..... :( .....you tried so hard to save him.....you did everything in your power and beyond........It had to be so hard ..........to have the baby die in your arms.....that is so devastating..........my heart goes out to you......... :hug: :(

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so SORRY! I was with my wether when he died. It was really sad. :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just dropped him in at the vet for a post mortem, because one of the other kids looks like he might have similar symptoms. He's still walking and eating though.