The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dealt with this that can give me any advice? I'm giving my doe red cell once a week and a vitamin b shot every 3 days. She eats well. Just not gaining any weight.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Are you talking about bottle jaw due to anemia? Usually they get it from worm overload. If you haven't had a fecal done yet, do so, and deworm according to what species is overloading her. Once you get her wormload under control, continue to keep up the red cell, and feed her lots of alfalfa and at least a 16% grain. My mom told me that raw honey supposedly helps with anemia due to its building blocks, or somesuch. I know that whenever I get anemic that I majorly crave honey...I know that goats are different than us but honey is honey and the energy from it will help her if nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
59,727 Posts
What exactly is going on? Have you had a fecal to include coccidia done? What is her temp? What is she eating exactly?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
if your goat has bottle jaw she has barpole worms...treating anemia only will not help..she needs to be wormed...ivomec 1cc per 40# sub Q 3 times 10 days apart thenonce more in 30 days after the last dose..
here is an article on treating anemia..its not a wuick fix..it takes time for a goat to rebuild her red blood cells...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts