The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck getting a 5 week old to take a bottle? I have a kid who seems to be always following her dam around wanting to nurse. Her dam will stop to get a drink at the water bucket and the kid will be behind her trying to nurse. She's the smallest of triplets and doing very well, just this one thing. So what do you think the chances are that I can convince her to take a bottle? I'm going to try. I offered one to her this AM but she wasn't too keen on the idea. So I'm going to work with her. I think she should stay on milk to around 12 weeks or so due to her small size and eagerness to eat. Her soon-to-be new owners are going to be coming through our way next weekend and the other kid they're getting is 8 weeks this week so they could go next weekend. This would work out ideally considering she would otherwise not be ready till almost September and the other kid would be 3 months + by then. So wish me luck! I think I might very well need it! At least I do have two bottle babies currently on bottle to help get the idea accross to her.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
i've done it with 7 week old kids. you can do! i believe in you!!!!!

no but really if you just stick to it it'll happen but from experience having two bottle kids is better than one. they eat better that way. but one works too

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Is the little one drinking water yet or eating hay? If she is taking water I would go ahead and take her off of mom and let her go to the new home and just give her some formula or goats milk in a bowl a couple times a day.

I have taken kids from mom at 6 weeks of age and they have done great. Even my bottle babies were weaned by 8 weeks at the latest.

Good luck
Allison

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah she's drinking water and yes she does eat hay and grain. I stall my little kids at dinner time and she happily comes up and eats pellet with the other kids.

I want her doing whatever she will end up doing before she leaves to go to her new home. I don't want her stressing from being away from mom and getting use to a new home and a new feeding regiment all at once. So if I can get her use to either a bottle or a bowl a good week before leaving then that's one less thing to stress her.

Thanks for the pep talk! I feel pretty confident we'll convince her its a good thing. :p

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Ashley, if you do decide to try the bottle on her, it can be done...I got Angel at 6 weeks and though she would nurse my one doe if held, she readily took to Chiefs bottle once she knew what was in it(Chief at the time was 10 weeks old, I still gave him 1 - 8oz bottle a day though he had been weaned before I got him) Once your little doe is with your 2 bottle kids she may get the idea.....and if she is drinking water and eating solid food you might even try what Allison suggested, put the warm milk in a pail or dish and hold it for her til she knows it's the good stuff and will take the milk that way. You may even try keeping her with your bottle babies away from her mom so that she starts to associate "people" with food and isn't so stressed with leaving her mom, may even make her hungry for the milk you offer her.

My little pygmy doeling is turning 5 months really soon and though her dam weaned her she still will take a bottle from me or will suck a quart out of a bucket in no time.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Liz, you basically said just what I was thinking too. I pulled her and her sis last night and offered the bottle to her. I didn't pressure her or anything, just let her sniff it. She would sniff but wasn't really interested in nursing. She's use to being let back out with mom so why should she care what I have right? So tonight I pulled just her and put her in the stall with the bottle babies again and she watched them nurse tonight and in the AM I'll offer her a bottle again but I won't push the issue in the morning. She'll have to see that she won't be going out to mom again and when the kids get their next bottle we'll see what she thinks and I may put it in her mouth then to get the idea across to her. When she gets good and hungry the hunger will do most of the thinking for her. That's how most bottle babies seem to get it here. So I will take it slow and easy with her and hope she catches on fast. If she does take the bottle she'll just stay with them till she leaves.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I feel "honored" Ashley...Great minds think alike.....I'm glad you have the confidence and perseverance to do what you know is best for her...I'm sure she'll come around to the bottle, as you said when hunger strikes she'll eat and be looking for more. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep hope that she does come around. She's not a dumb kid so I think she'll catch on fast. Does tend to get the idea easier and faster than bucks so thank goodness its a doe!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Good luck! I am sure it is possible. I taught my guys without trying at 4 weeks. I was trying to teach Sugar since I think her brothers get most of the milk. Well her brother Blue is such a pig he latched right on and started sucking! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not interested this AM but we'll see again here in a little while.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Well its not going well at all. We have to hold her and force the nipple in her mouth. She does swollow when the milk runs into her mouth but she will not suckle at all. We're doing good to get an ounce or two in her at each feeding. We feed 3 times a day. Otherwise she refuses to nurse. I haven't tried the bowl idea just yet. She stays with the two bottle babies and otherwise is fine, just not interested at all in the bottle.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
She will eventually come around....with your patience, try the bowl though especially if she's drinking water...even use the same type of bowl for the water and milk or continue with the bottle, she may even be filling up on hay before you take her the bottle :shrug:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To ensure she's hungry I haven't put out hay or grains so she's only getting water or the bottle. The water is in a bucket hanging on the stall wall at about head level for the 3 kids in that stall.

I don't want her to get weak from hunger either, I wish she'd give in and realize its not so bad. I pulled Blessing and will try to fill her up. I'll milk her and try her milk in the bottle for the kid. See if that makes any difference to her. I'd put her on the milk stand to milk but she's collapsed on both sides from the other two kids being on her all day so I stalled her in hopes of her filling in for me. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I hope it works out soon too. Otherwise I'll likely have to let her go at 8 weeks. This would be much better for her. Pity she doesn't agree. ;)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holding Blessing wouldn't help my situation. (Not that holding her would be needed.) I need the kid to leave next week and her dam won't be going with her and they won't have any in milk to do the same at her new home. She's already dried her does off.

I did syringe feed her some this evening since she was still none too keen on the bottle.

Blessing is super easy to milk and it is her kid so she's fine. Its the kid I'm having trouble with. She's just not interested in eating from a bottle. I'll be trying the bowl method tomorrow. This kid has really gotten wild lately, probably with the force bottle feedings. Won't help any that she's going on penicillin tomorrow for a runny nose.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
well do what you want but I say that they knew she was on her dam when they purchased her so they should have chosen a better time to come by (ie when she was weaned) or they will need to do that later on. The goats health comes first before convience. That is how I run things even if it means I loose a sale.

Right now she is getting so stressed she may become sick - obviously she is showing the first signs of it. I would put her back with her mom and tell the buyers to pick her up when she is weaned.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Runny nose has nothing to do with this. She was like that before hand. Just makes it easier for me to treat her though having her pulled.

I gave her LA200 today.... duh... I should have done penicillin. Tomorrow I'll start her on penicillin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts