Bottle Raising

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by D&D Farm, Dec 9, 2020.

1. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Ok I have two other does that haven’t given birth yet. I’ll move her into their pen.

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would NOT put her in with pregnant does. Even before kidding, hormones cause them to "protect" their babies. You may have to find a completely separate space for her until she is old enough to hold her own. The stress and anxiety from being bullied is hard on a young one and can lead to serious heath problems such as pneumonia.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. I hope she will be accepted eventually. I don’t know how cold it is where you are, but do you think she is warm enough by herself?

4. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Are their any weanlings who can be put in a pen with her? Or you could bottle feed one of the babies from the upcoming does about to kid to give her a buddy, but I wouldn’t want to bottle feed if I didn’t have to. We have had several scenarios like this and have always found a way I would keep her with the mom and the kids if you have no where else. Do not put her in with an adult who does not have babies. Best case scenario is being in with bottle babies or weanlings without any adults.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    I may be to sensitive but it’s killing me. She was crying so much this morning that now her voice is horse. She doesn’t follow the herd or stick close and I don’t blame her because they all headbutt her. One of the mamas is head butting everyone humans and goats that aren’t her babies. The only time the baby doesn’t cry is when I’m around.

6. MadHouse

I would find that hard too!
    I don’t know the answer. :hug:

7. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    They call this goat math but in my mind that just means you have to buy another bottle baby to keep her company. I’m saying that as kinda joking, but think about it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She needs a friend her age that isn't attached to a momma.

MadHouse, goatblessings and Ashlynn like this.
  9. MadHouse

How is it going with the little girl?

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Tonya Mckee

Tonya Mckee New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Alabama

12. Tonya Mckee

Tonya Mckee New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Alabama
    I have 3lb 7oz baby girl Nigerian/Pygmy mix she is 14days old an only takes about 3/4 of a ounce every 2 hours is that about right an she grinds her teeth till no end!

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Try to make your own thread about it if your asking for advice. Click forums then health & wellness then click new thread

goatblessings and MadHouse like this.