bottle vs. weaning later

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by ProvGoat, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ProvGoat

ProvGoat New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    I keep two diary goats on a small lot in suburbia. Both are likely to kid within a week. I am concerned that if we keep the kids with the dams, there will be a very noisy period at weaning which will disturb the neighbors. An alternative is to bottle feed them the dams' milk from birth and keep them separate.

Questions: will the dams still be very noisy if the kids are taken at birth? Is there a way to wean dam-raised kids at about 2 months old without a lot of noise (e.g. splitting the pen?)

I need to decide soon!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Anytime you wean... kids will be noisy... So bottle feeding from the start ...sounds to be an option..... it is sad though to have to do that.... :(

Another option is ....do you have a friend out in the country...that can take them for a while...through the weaning process... if you where to keep them on their Dam....And then return them....so the screaming won't be at your place? Just an idea... :wink:

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I know what you mean... I have a little wether now that will go to a new home next sunday Evening...I thought that i would help with weaning for just a couple of days before he goes, but I'm concerned about the noise too! I have an enclosed porch for baby, but it's mom that I'm concerned with. I guess I'll just have to try and see how it goes... maybe if we give the neighbors a "heads-up" about the noise and explain that it's just temporary...I have to say, that leaving him on mom for the past couple of months has been REALLY easy.. I've milked mornings, and separated at night (in the same barn) and they have done great! alot easier than bottle feeding!