Bottlefeeding "orphans"

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bbredmom, Jan 20, 2011.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Tomorrow I am getting a 3 week old doeling and two 2 week old babies, boy and girl. The 3 week doeling is healthy and feeding from mom. The 2 week olds, especially the boy, are not. The main reason I am taking them is because the woman who owns the mommas is...highly irresponsible.

She is the same one who brought me a dying buckling that she didn't bottle feed when his momma died at 6 weeks. Who didn't know that a buck would breed with his own daughters so she didn't see the big deal with rooming him with them. Who moved her buck in with the mommas within a WEEK because he was lonely and she didn't want to bother with buying a wether. and she has 20 acres, bad fencing, no LGD, and has already lost a pregnant doe to coyotes this winter. And she doesn't vaccinate for anything.

So anyway I'm taking the babies now. When I had bottle babies before, I had access to their momma's milk until they were about a month old. When I did, I mixed Sav-a-kid with half water half goat milk. No scours, good fur, strong bones.

But this time I wont have goat milk. Can I half and half with whole buttermilk or vitamin D? I'm especially concerned about supplementing the little boy.

I know its best to stay with momma. but staying with momma in this case is more of a danger. At least here they will have a secure warm stall, within a secure barn, within a secure fence with 3 LGD's and a baby monitor.

2. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    We always found whole cows milk from the store did fine and the kids grew well.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yep. You can use whole cows milk. They grow fast on it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I found Whole milk to not be enough and the goats soured on it -- I think it depends on teh breed. Nigerian Dwarfs need more fat in their milk but standards dont have it so are closer to cows milk.

you can mix it like that but be prepared for the scours because of the sudden change -- good luck with getting them on the bottle too :hugs:

5. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Well, these are mutt goats. They daddy definitely has some pygmy in him, and the mommas look alpine-ish, but all of them are small-ish.

Yeah, I know the transition wont be easy (and very messy) but if a kid gets hungry enough....

6. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Is it an option to take the mama to your house too?? That would aleviate some of the bottle feeding/no milk issues...?

7. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    No, no chance of taking any of the mommas to my house. I'm afraid that if I even suggested it, the woman would get all possessive and not let me take any of the babies. Plus the mommas are willllllllllld.

8. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Bless you for taking in and trying with the babies.

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We have used the whole milk for the boers and they grow great on it. We don't really see a good growth rate in the nigis with just whole milk so here is what we are going to use this kidding season. We have also used it before and liked it!

1 gallon Whole Milk
    1 can Evaporated Milk (12 oz)
    1 cup Cultured Buttermilk
    Goat Nutri-Drench

Pour 4 cups of the whole milk into a container. Add the evaporated milk and butter milk. Add back as much of the whole milk (roughly 1 cup) to refill the gallon milk container. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Goat Nutri-Drench to the first bottle of the day. (Nutridrench is optional or one squirt 2 times a week)

Here is another recipe we used. The goats grew good on it, but it was a pain to make.

1 egg, ¼ cup whipping cream
    1 cup non fat dry milk
    3 cups water: makes 30 oz.

If you want to double it, it is 2 eggs,
    1/3 cup whipping cream, 6 cups water, 2 cups nonfat dry milk.

With the egg, you got to get those white things off the egg and beat it really good before you add it to the mix, other wise they get stuck in the nipple! haha

I got these recipes from http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com and have used both with success.

Im glad you are taking in the babies!!!

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    That recipe looks great, but I'm not familiar with Nutri-Drench, nor have I seen it locally. Our goat supplies are limited here. Could I add powdered supplement to it instead? I know some folks have had a bad experience with Sav-a-kid, but we had nothing but good luck with it. Just take a gander at Zeus lol!

11. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Hmmn. Im not totally sure about the powdered supplement. Maybe someone else will come on and give the right answer xD

But you can order Nutridrench from any online store with livestock supplies. theres www.jefferslivestock.com Its $9.96 there.
    Also caprinesupply.com but they are expensive! $13.95!!!
    www.hoeggersgoatsupply.com sells it for $12.95.

We also use the Beef cow Nutridrench so you may want to see if your local farm store carries that. :)

12. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I know when we had a doe that either got mastitis, was on antibiotics, etc and her milk was unusuable, we used whole milk in replace of goats. It worked good for them. Good luck!! :)

13. becca

becca New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I use whole cows milk with a little corn syrup added and they grow good on it.

14. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    We have been using Whole Cows milk for the kids this year while we wait for our milker to kid. I have had good luck with it so far, kids are growing really fast, and getting good weight on them, at a month old they weigh in at about 15 # One is bigger than the other and I think its cause he was on Mom for the first couple week's til she suddenly dried off and would let him nurse and he about froze. So for us it's Cow's milk from now on.

15. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    First, a picture!

[​IMG]

Wellllll, these babies are completely wild. Apparently the woman paid all the attention to the first two born (who are constantly begging for attention) and since the rest were born later and not as "pretty" they were left to their own devices. I wish I could have taken all of them.....

Needless to say, bottle feeding has been an adventure. Any suggestions on bottle feeding wild babies?

Also, the little boy, who had the most negelctful momma, has what looks like cold sores on his top lip. He's actually taken the bottle best if I stick in the side of his mouth. Any idea what this could be? Can I put chapstick on it?

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like possible sore mouth -- its extremely contagious so make sure you wash up between feeding them and your other goats and I suggest wearing gloves because its zoonotic (meaning passes from animals to humans)

17. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Hmmm, I thought of sore mouth, but it doesn't have the same symptoms, and none of the other babies have it at all. You can kinda see it in the pic-hes the goat closest to me. I have a pic up close:
    [​IMG]

18. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Doesn't sore mouth affect the areas closer to the mouth? and around the sides? And the usually open and become very sore? that doesn't really look like sore mouth....It looks like blisters or something. Are the warm to the touch? Squishy or hard?

19. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Actually, I found out what it is. It is a burn blister, because the woman tried to bottle feed him, but didn't check themp of the milk, and got it too hot. So no wonder he didn't want to nurse out the front! Now we have worked out a system: him in my lap, head turned to the side, with the nipple in the back molar area. He goes to town! Took 2.5 oz at the last feeding, and 2 oz this morn. The other brown girl is doing much better, 2 oz both times, but the white girl, whose momma was queen, is not liking it. She will drink, but I end up covered in milk. Brat. but she is also eating grain and hay because she is 1.5 weeks older.

So I notcied today little boy is sometimes walking on the front of his hooves. Not all the time, but sometime. Is this something I should try to adjust with splints?

All three are very healthy though, no scours, full roundish bellies after each feeding, now that we can get them to mostly accept the bottle.

However, we did come out to the barn this morning to find Firefly (the big white one) snuggled in the buck pen with Zeus and our Hermie Metis! She apparently jumped from the top of the dog house, over a 4.5 foot wall, and landed safely on the other side. Hubby is adding 4 feet of chain link as we speak. Brat.