Hi, I'm new to goats. I have an Alpine, an Alpine/Togg mix, and will soon be bringing home a bred mini mancha. I had this bright idea to get a round hay bale and set it up so they could eat off it whenever they want. I planned it out, how to enclose it but still let them get their heads in to it, and though I was all ready. I sent my husband out to get the hay. He brought it home and dropped it onto my pallet I had set in place, and then he came up to watch the baby while I went out to inspect. Now, I know the top is usually brown and needs to be picked off, but one whole side of this things is moldy. It is covered in this white dust. I started kicking at it with my boot and picking some of the moldy parts off, but dust was just flying and I got worried I was breathing in too many mold spore standing there trying to see what was under that part. They goats don't have access to it yet, and I'm not sure I should let them eat it. Trying to research this, I've read so many different things that my head is spinning. I have no idea what to do. I certainly don't want to risk the health of my goats. Will this bale be ok if I pick all the nasty off? I didn't think it should be moldy, even if they top was weather worn. Should I just roll it over the hill and try again with another round bale, or should would sticking with square bales just be safer? What has worked for you? Thanks for your help. Like I said I've been trying to figure this out, but I keep reading such different things and now I'm totally lost. And someone told me goats and cows can eat moldy hay, but another person told me that is wrong and goats will get sick. ACK!