The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the sale barn today and bought a few goats got a boer nanny she is about 4 months old but I saw a little billy come through the sale and he is maybe an I mean maybe 1 month old I got him and put him on one of my doe that has already weaned her kids an She is doing fine with him but why would some one sell a goat that young?????

·
14,615 Posts
You just never know. Maybe his dam died. Maybe owners were desperate to down size.
For your doe to accept him is fantastic you keep her!
Are you saying your doe is letting him nurse?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just never know. Maybe his dam died. Maybe owners were desperate to down size.
For your doe to accept him is fantastic you keep her!
Are you saying your doe is letting him nurse?
Yea I put him in a holding pen an walked her in there to him and she stood and coached him into nursing

·
Super Moderator
59,795 Posts
Many times people just want rid of them. I would never sell a girl that will take on orphans. That is great that she did that!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I was at a sale barn ONCE.... and during that time, there were twin LaMancha bucklings put in the ring with still bloody cords.... they had been born there and the owner of the doe that had them only wanted her for milk, not the bucklings :(

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
...why would some one sell a goat that young?????
There are a number of reasons for selling kids that young. The last time I took goats to CLA in Fort Collins, there were 25 week old dairy kids that went through the ring. That is not the first time I've seen it happen, either. It just depends on the circumstances and the operation.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I better never ever ever go to a barn sale........

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I better never ever ever go to a barn sale........
It's hard to resist the temptation - even for an old, cynical b&*$h like me. I would hate to tell you how many day to week old, sicker than a dog calves I used to drag home when I worked at the sale barn about 100 years ago. I've since given up on saving all the animals, though, it just isn't possible. :( I do what I can, when I can.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard to resist the temptation - even for an old, cynical b&*$h like me. I would hate to tell you how many day to week old, sicker than a dog calves I used to drag home when I worked at the sale barn about 100 years ago. I've since given up on saving all the animals, though, it just isn't possible. :( I do what I can, when I can.
I like the sale barns because I went last week and got a big boer doe that was bred an she has had two boer doelings an I only paid 75 dollars for her

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have had about 50/50 luck with sale barn kids. but unless you have a quarantine area dont do it . you never know what diseases they have or tha sale barn has. we bought a doe last fall and kept her in quarantine until she was tested for everything. she had really bad feet and was fearful of everybody. we were able to track down her papers, and she responded well to loving . she had triplets this spring that are beautiful. she and one of her does are now being shown in 4-H by my grandson. i guess she was worth the $65 dollars we had to pay for her!!

·
8,392 Posts
A lot of the commercial dairy herds just want the milking goats, sell all the kids. There is a large Saanen dairy somewhere around here (within 40 miles) and every week, they send between
1 and a bunch of kids, from just born and wet up to a week old. So sad. I will not go to the auctions for that (and many other) reasons. A lot of the kids die in the first few days at the new
homes. I really hate even thinking about it. But, I guess it is better than euthanizing them at birth. Maybe...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I do have a Lamancha (going to Laura) that I feel would adopt any kid you put under her. Fantastic girl. Only reason I'm selling her is her size. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts